Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion

senna_T

• Member For: 18y 4m 6d

Did he walk away with just a box and nothing else and only pay $350?

Did he see an invoice from Herrods showing the cost price of $350?

What I'm getting at is, as I understand it

The guy was talked into getting a tune on his Xcal 1 by a shop that said they could do it.

He gets there and the shop say's sorry we can't tune that you need to buy a X3

Owner jumps up and down and carries on (as you would expect)because he went to that shop because he was told they could tune it

The shop still wants to make a sale so they have to give him a discount to keep him

They sell him a box for $350, which is supposed to be cost

and then they can still sell him a tune for $1000 (or what ever they charge)

The shop still gets a sale and the owner gets his tune although it has cost him $350 more than he expected.

Now the fact is,

if the shop lied about tuning the xcal1, what else are they lying about?

They may have dropped a price on a combination of things, but see fit to say they have dropped the price off 1 item when actual fact the discount may have come from their tuning cost or a combination of other things purchased at the time.

Another possibility is

The owner is lying about what price he paid, some people love to brag about things trying to out do others.

Disclaimer

I was not there and do not know exactlty what has happened

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 14d

Mick I would suggest that the $350 stated cost is probably less or about what Rob Herrod pays for them.

Even then everyone is still making a more than reasonable margin.

I doubt it as why would Rob sell a box at cost because somebody else stuffed up? and if he did then everybody would know what his costs actually are.

That does not make sense for that to happen, but who knows

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 9m 22d

From my understanding of the situation Mick, as nobody wants to talk about it now, the vehicle owner had the parts and tune all costed and paid for, with the idea that his X1 would be ok, which is what was originally said. When the price went up by $795 for a new X3 to do the actual tuning he hit the roof, could not be calmed down. The price for the X3 was then negotiated down to the "cost" of $350. He paid the extra $350.

I will try to find out if there is a reciept that says "X3 for $350" and wether the tune was fully paid for until this happened as the cost of the tune varies usually, so some of the X3 price could have been bundled into that, much like trading in a car, where all that matters is the changover price, not what you get for your car and what the new car costs.

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members

I doubt it as why would Rob sell a box at cost because somebody else stuffed up? and if he did then everybody would know what his costs actually are.

That does not make sense for that to happen, but who knows

Your missing the point. If RH lands the box say for $350 , Rob and the Tuning Shops still make a decent margin through the supply chain and that is all I am saying.

Where did I say that is what Rob sells them for? I suggested that MAY be ~ his cost

A receipt frpm the tuner showing $350 would back his story but not change the first scenario I listed. As you mentioned, it's about the final change over cost when dealing with car replacements and is probably a good way to explain what I was trying to explain with my scanario.

If he produced a copy of a Herrod invoice, showing $350 that would be different and I doubt that one would exists

Your missing the point. If RH lands the box say for $350 , Rob and the Tuning Shops still make a decent margin through the supply chain and that is all I am saying.

No, I get your point, buy nobody has proof Herrod is paying $350 for a X3 and then even if he did that's not to say a tuner is not paying $790 to get the same box.

Herrod may be paying $350 a box or even $600 a box, that's their business.

Everybody is now focusing on $350.

Herrod do not just bring the box into the country and then just sell them for a profit, read my previous post to some of the things that are part of what they do, and it all would come to a cost for them which has to factored into the cost of the product

Edited by ratter

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 7d

Does it really matter how much Herrod pay for them?

How much do you think it costs Ford to build the car you're driving?

I don't get why xcal1 going offline is such an issue all of a sudden.

People were told it would be happening a long time ago now. It's a little late to start whatever this is now.

Wasn't there some sort of 'trade in' or 'upgrade' option for xcal1 owners?

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members

Herrod do not just bring the box into the country and then sell them for a profit, read my previous post to some of the things that are part of what they do, and it all would come to a cost for them which has to factored into the cost of the product

So why bother ? a benevolent donation to car enthusiasts? They are a business aren't they ?