Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion

senna_T

• Member For: 17y 3m 9d

So SCT are admitting fault lies with them for the security flaw in the design of their product? and some illegal activity "allegedly occured with a previous distributor". And somehow they decide that the best course of action is to shut down our units with no notice, and charge us all to buy new items?, because of their f*ck up, and alleged mis conduct of an authorised distributor. FFS it isnt even them offering us a reasonable exchange, its left upto Herrod to offer us $200 trade in, which im afraid just doesnt cut it, I'll still be out of pocket $FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!

If they want to do trade and make profit in our country, then they need to abide by our trade laws. Cant have it all their own way, they have sold thousands of units in this country, as recently as last year!

I dont give a sh*t when Capa last bought from them, fact is they bought thousands of them upfront, therefore didnt need to re-order,

SCT, stand behind your product, its your f*ckup, however you look at it.

Either give me my money back $995, and I'll decide if I trust SCT enough to buy your product again.

Or give me an exchange item

Time for a class action from everyone affected, they cant behave like that trading in this country (last count there were 250 people signed on the petition on Nizpro's forum.

Absolute disgrace

Edited by Full Monty

• Member For: 14y 3m 17d

SCT are standing by there product... there are stopping the misuse of there product that they have spent so much money on just so you can have the lastest technolgy for your car. SCT does not make money unless we buy flash tuners (Unlike VCM Suite where credits are brought for $80USD)

Why should SCT support Aust if people are stealing the small profit they would make for aust(R&D costs a lot of money).. I beat Aust is like 2-5% of there flash tuner sales..

The people you should be blaming is the people that created the need for cheap tunes and making a money hungry tuners steal from the product that has been supporting them/us.

There is no point arguing the point.. I am sure they have looked into what they are doing ... Trade Prac Act says that a product must be supported for 5 years so the last XCAL1 to be made was proberly in 2003-4 in USA and then sold to CAPA as a old out of date product. We all brought it as it was the only device on the market that a company(SCT) was willing to support a small market.

So with 5 years up of support of a product they are free to stop supportting the product.. its just like ford .. if they run out of a part from a '04 falcon they are not going to get more made are for you..

At the end of the day SCT is the premier tuning tool across the world for fords, VCM Suite doesnt have enough paramaters for forced induction cars and Sniper has proven to be unstable..

Stop crying about a few hundred dollars for something that 5 years old.. you loses thousands of dollars on your cars every year.. do you go crying to the dealership that your car isnt worth as much when you trade in on a newer model...

No matter how this was handled we would be crying .. be happy the Herrods is dipping into his pocket to give you something for nothing.. what more did you want a registered post letter addressed to you and a comfirmation to say you recieved the notice that the flash tuner was going to be phase out...

Thanks to SCT for finally sorting out the 6Spd auto software as these autos have been holding everyone back on the strip.. a lot of good 60ft's are goinbg to come of these change...

Edited by TheoF6

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 13d

Do you work for SCT or Herrod? Fess up.

• Member For: 14y 3m 17d

Do you work for SCT or Herrod? Fess up.

Sorry no .. I have just been talking with my tuner at length and getting the facts about whats really happening and not jumping the gun..

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 13d

Sorry no .. I have just been talking with my tuner at length and getting the facts about whats really happening and not jumping the gun..

Maybe your over-excited because you think you'll have ZF tuning, but that doesnt bother me I have a t56

So your ok with your tuner making a couple of hundred $$ for 2minutes work.

I wantmore customers as nieve as you.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 18d

SCT are standing by there product... there are stopping the misuse of there product that they have spent so much money on just so you can have the lastest technolgy for your car. SCT does not make money unless we buy flash tuners (Unlike VCM Suite where credits are brought for $80USD)

Why should SCT support Aust if people are stealing the small profit they would make for aust(R&D costs a lot of money).. I beat Aust is like 2-5% of there flash tuner sales..

The people you should be blaming is the people that created the need for cheap tunes and making a money hungry tuners steal from the product that has been supporting them/us.

There is no point arguing the point.. I am sure they have looked into what they are doing ... Trade Prac Act says that a product must be supported for 5 years so the last XCAL1 to be made was proberly in 2003-4 in USA and then sold to CAPA as a old out of date product. We all brought it as it was the only device on the market that a company(SCT) was willing to support a small market.

So with 5 years up of support of a product they are free to stop supportting the product.. its just like ford .. if they run out of a part from a '04 falcon they are not going to get more made are for you..

At the end of the day SCT is the premier tuning tool across the world for fords, VCM Suite doesnt have enough paramaters for forced induction cars and Sniper has proven to be unstable..

Stop crying about a few hundred dollars for something that 5 years old.. you loses thousands of dollars on your cars every year.. do you go crying to the dealership that your car isnt worth as much when you trade in on a newer model...

No matter how this was handled we would be crying .. be happy the Herrods is dipping into his pocket to give you something for nothing.. what more did you want a registered post letter addressed to you and a comfirmation to say you recieved the notice that the flash tuner was going to be phase out...

Thanks to SCT for finally sorting out the 6Spd auto software as these autos have been holding everyone back on the strip.. a lot of good 60ft's are goinbg to come of these change...

They should support us cause we spent $1k on their damn product!! A product which apparently didn't come with a time limit?

They have blamed these people that are stealing from them...But have they been punished? No! The consumer has, that went with SCT at the start. I cannot believe it's gunna cost me upwards of $600, and that's before tuning costs, just to get my tune adjusted to suit my new fuel pump!

Edited by bradles024

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 9m 22d

SCT should be sucking this up as it's their fault they created a product they couldn't secure properly and entirely their fault for dumping them on the Aussie market when they did. I'm sure they just loved making massive profits on what they could get for them in the US as tune hungry Australians bought their old stock.

Not getting any revenue from old stock is the cost of doing business. Book companies don't go around shutting down second hand book shops do they because they aren't getting any revenue from the sales?

Microsoft doing go around banning all the IP's in a country from using their systems due to piracy. The normal way to do business is to look after your customers, not a blanket punishment for all for the sins of a few.

Nobody is asking for any extra support, we are aware of the limitations of our boxes, they should be allowed to be tuned while they still work as many of them do. Nobody is also asking for parts Theo, your arguments just aren't making sense. Why? Because you are trying to defend the undefendable. To me you sound like the lawyer of a child molester trying to explain why his client did it. There is no need to talk to my tuners as I know the story and it's not pretty.

I paid $1300 for the privilege of having an SCT flash box. That's a considerable investment and I can think of better ways to spend $600 to have the same abilities. You cannot tell me to suck it up when these guys just bricked my unit overnight. As an end user I don't care about SCT's issues with "some" people and I should never have to.

I also don't think they've looked into the law fully. No spare parts is one thing, but wantonly disabling the main ability of these devices so we HAVE to upgrade to their new model is illegal. Think about it.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 7d

Sorry no .. I have just been talking with my tuner...

Talking with your tuner or you are a tuner? With all the secret squirrel sh*t that's already happening a bit of transparency wouldn't go astray.

Like genebaby said this is nothing to do with supporting a product with spare parts. It's essentially locking people out from using it to it's originally designed and marketed potential. There have been a few test-cases in this area in regards to software companies locking-out their former licensees from accessing their own data. So SCT/Herrod (as SCT's agent) are foolish in thinking they can hide behind provisions in section 74F the TPA

And while we're in there...

74G Actions in respect of non‑compliance with express warranty

(1) Where:

(a) a corporation, in trade or commerce, supplies goods (otherwise than by way of sale by auction) manufactured by the corporation to a consumer; or

(b) a corporation, in trade or commerce, supplies goods manufactured by the corporation to another person who acquires the goods for re‑supply and a person (whether or not the person who acquired the goods from the corporation) supplies the goods (otherwise than by way of sale by auction) to a consumer;

and:

© the corporation fails to comply with an express warranty given or made by the corporation in relation to the goods; and

(d) the consumer or a person who acquires the goods from, or derives title to the goods through or under, the consumer suffers loss or damage by reason of the failure;

the corporation is liable to compensate the consumer or that other person for the loss or damage and the consumer or that other person may recover the amount of the compensation by action against the corporation in a court of competent jurisdiction.

(2) For the purposes of any action instituted by a person against a corporation under this section, where:

(a) an undertaking, assertion or representation was given or made in connection with the supply of goods or in connection with the promotion by any means of the supply or use of goods; and

(b) the undertaking, assertion or representation would, if it had been given or made by the corporation or a person acting on its behalf, have constituted an express warranty in relation to the goods;

it shall be presumed that the undertaking, assertion or representation was given or made by the corporation or a person acting on its behalf unless the corporation proves that it did not give or make, and did not cause or permit the giving or making of, the undertaking, assertion or representation.

...Herrod reinforced the "express warranty" the last time the sh*t hit the fan that the Xcal1 could be used indefinitely. :innocent:

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 9m 22d

Yes. Someone is going to be liable for this. Switch the Xcal1 back on forever or send me an Xcal3, either will work for me.

There was a really good analogy on AFF about this, I'll post it here:

Hypothetically, if your fancy fridge with internet access and firmware changes was turned off because a new fridge was released and the company didnt want to support the old one. Hey you can still open and close the door and store things in it, but its primary function to cool/freeze food was no longer available.

Imagine if Westinghouse bricked your fridge because they hadn't sold many of that model lately? No frickin' way. I just bought new handle parts for my oven and it's about 24 years old! That was great, didn't have to buy a new oven when the handle broke!

Edited by genebaby