I'm Now Running 375hp At The Treads!

Guest 56Mainline

Guest 56Mainline
  • Guests

OK, attached photo is of the intercooler mesh as fitted to my T. It's an old photo, I've since changed the number plate to a NSW slimline Black & White (frilly little number!). The B&W plates look heaps better IMO.

I'll get a newer piccy tomorrow. Also get a pic of my mates cardi grey XR6 with the same mesh installed (but no badge).

Cheers...

post-34-1069924133.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest 56Mainline
  • Guests

OK, attached photo is of the intercooler mesh as fitted to my T. It's an old photo, I've since changed the number plate to a NSW slimline Black & White (frilly little number!). The B&W plates look heaps better IMO.

I'll get a newer piccy tomorrow. Also get a pic of my mates cardi grey XR6 with the same mesh installed (but no badge).

Cheers...

post-34-1069924420.jpg

Guest 56Mainline
  • Guests

Cheers...

post-34-1069924466.jpg

• Member For: 21y 10m 19d

I really like that, did you do that yourself? id like to see a replacement grill with the same type of mesh as well, would look pretty good I reckon with the bottom like yours as well! ill check the other pics when you post them tommorrow.

cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Team - Anti Rice Blueprint Member # 1
  • Member For: 21y 1m 21d
Firstly....
Did you install the XR8 intake yourself?

All up costs?

Yes, installed myself. Several have asked about the cost & install, so here it is....

Required 1x XR8 under headlight duct, described by Ford as "Tube Air Clnr Intake", Part Number BAT9C676A, Cost $55 incl GST.

This component has a flange on it so that it gives a good seal & connection to the XR8 air cleaner cannister (barrel shaped thing). I cut this flange off with a Stanley knife!

I obtained the following item from the plumbing section of a large hardware store: Plumb-quik rubber joiner 100mm long x 100mm dia (part no 1056-44), cost $18.92. It comes complete with quality hose clamps at each end (I didn't use them). The hose clamps sit in recesses in the rubber. One of these recesses is used to seal a hole cut into the side of the standard XR6T airbox, the hole dimensions determined by the diameter of the recess (approx 94mm diameter).

Now, the XR8 under headlight duct has the end cut off it, pushed into one end of the rubber joiner. As the duct is oval in shape, it causes the rubber joiner to become oval in shape. It is a very tight fit, and there is no need for any other means of fixing the two together.

This assembly is then positioned (forced!) under the headlight. To do this the whole airbox needs to be removed (easy job, held in place by 3 bolts).

Now a hole is cut in the side wall of the airbox to suit the 94mmm diameter rubber joiner recess. I cut an oval shaped hole to better suit the shape of the joiner with the XR8 duct fully inserted into it. Tidy up the hole with a file.

The airbox is then repositioned, the airbox front retaining bolt fitted, and the rubber joiner plumbed into the hole, so that the recess sits in the airbox plastic wall.

Fit the remaining two airbox retaining bolts, the air filter, & lid.

You're then done! Total cost $73.92. And it looks completely factory. All in black rubber.

Thanks 56Mainline - I FINALLY installed the XR8 under headlight duct as per your post! :thumbsup:

Noticeable improvement in throttle response. Feels like a few more KW's on board too. Surprised that the intake sound did not increase much, and is now a tad more throaty! Mod is very discreet and looks factory! :thumbsup:

My T is otherwise stock and auto. Cost me a total of $65 ($50 XR8 duct and $15 100mm rubber joiner) and 2 hours of time! :festive:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 56Mainline
  • Guests

What follows are two updated pictures of my intercooler mesh with NSW slimline license plate.

Sorry for the delay, it's been over one month since I've been infront of a PC (work has been a nightmare!).

Note the difference between the earlier pic & these recent one's. The black anodised aluminium mesh is 'fading'. The black is 'washing' off as time & kilometers pass. What remains at present is a silvery grey.

I expect that eventually the fading will continue until it is completely silver/aluminium coloured. This has occurred over a period of 5 months and 16,000kms.

From this experience, I wonder how the other black anodised meshes (Herrods, Dealers, etc) will fare?

post-34-1073483188.jpg