Speeding Fine.

tig

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 10d

In Victoria all the Police have to do is show that the unit was setup, tested and used within the Road Safte Act (Speed MEasuring) Provisions. If it was certified etc.

If the guy was on his own you have a chance, if he was with a partner, 2 words against one.

Save your breath and money and pay the fine. Would like to be proven wrong, but in over 5000 prosecutions, I never lost one. But then, I never wrongly booked anyone. Well, maybe that guy who called me a C**t but he deserved to walk home I think.

But remember, I'm from Vic. The legislation in NSW may be otherwise and different. But just remember, 2 coppers under oath, versus your word. Also, how do you know your speedo is accurate? Have you a certifcate for a certified calibration organisation? IE VDO?

A simple point also. Ask yourself honestly what your attitude was like when you spoke to them when you got out of the car. Did you get out with the attitude, "F**k you guys, I'm in the right"? that's never a good thing.

If you were going to buy a TV, would you start off by abusing the salesman? that's gunna get you a good price.

Argue all you like. These guys are humans (some it is questionable I agree) but they have feelings too.

Good luck

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 17y 4m 30d

A simple point also. Ask yourself honestly what your attitude was like when you spoke to them when you got out of the car. Did you get out with the attitude, "F**k you guys, I'm in the right"?

every topic like this im always reading how was your attitude when you were pulled over I dont see how that has anything to do with it the law was either broken or it wasnt simple as that the owner of the car has every right to be pissed off if he was booked for no reason why would you be nice to some asshole who you know dam well isnt going to listen you anyway

im sure if I came around to your house to do some electricail work and said look well the job was $1000 but ive been picking up a bit of attitude so now its going to be $1500 lets call it a wanker tax maybe next time I rip you off you should be nicer about it and ill only charge you $1250

I think you guys seem to forget its a job your doing that's why your paid each week (having your ass kissed isnt part of the deal ) if you feel that need maybe change jobs

cheers trev

• Member For: 15y 9m 19d

If you have the spare $$$ take them to court! If no one ever challenges these fines they can and maybe will just keep getting away with it. I know bot many people win the challenge but I know that if I had the spare money and wasnt speeding id be off to court without a second thought!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 16d

Thanks for the input guys, my missus also said just pay the fine and move on but I guess im just too stubborn and its not about the money anyway as in the past I have copped a fine for creeping over the limit and have no problem with that. A couple of members mentioned attitude, although I did get out and object that I was booked I didnt raise my voice or get in a slanging match, just asked a couple of questions - distance, calibration of unit and also why a white Late model camira was travelling past me (2 lane section) and he was not booked and also asked how they could see through tree branches. They suggested I take it to court and I told them I would be and that was that. I just want my day in court, I will take all my evidence,they can present theirs and we will see what we see.

cheers :beerchug:

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 6d

The trick to taking anything to court is to not tell them.

Cops book many people each day and the less memorable they are the better chance you have of defending yourself.

However I did once borrow the pen of a cop that had given me a ticket and signed the court election on the spot.

I did win the case and this really rubbed it into the cop for unjustifiably handing out a ticket.

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 1d

IB will be along shortly to tell you that you have no hope of fighting it, you were wrong they are always right etc.

Pretty much a given. All these questions of there methods and technology and none on his speedometer accuarcy. Have your matter heard at court and get it off your chest. They will go along and be happilly paid for there time and you will go along and waste yours.

I.B.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 10d

A simple point also. Ask yourself honestly what your attitude was like when you spoke to them when you got out of the car. Did you get out with the attitude, "F**k you guys, I'm in the right"?

every topic like this im always reading how was your attitude when you were pulled over I dont see how that has anything to do with it the law was either broken or it wasnt simple as that the owner of the car has every right to be pissed off if he was booked for no reason why would you be nice to some asshole who you know dam well isnt going to listen you anyway

im sure if I came around to your house to do some electricail work and said look well the job was $1000 but ive been picking up a bit of attitude so now its going to be $1500 lets call it a wanker tax maybe next time I rip you off you should be nicer about it and ill only charge you $1250

I think you guys seem to forget its a job your doing that's why your paid each week (having your ass kissed isnt part of the deal ) if you feel that need maybe change jobs

cheers trev

Im tipping you get booked alot.

Mate if someone got out of the car with the right attitude for example "My wife is having a baby" or I am bleeding to death" (Extremes but part of the point) theyd probably get off. Why? Cause I want a speed camera.

Oh and by the way, I did change jobs because letting people off was frowned upon.

• Member For: 17y 6m

So those of you that have been (or still are) in the police force are telling us that there is no way to get off this type of thing despite the fact that the guy may actually be innocent?

This sits badly with me, the fact that you are screwed regardless of whether you were speeding or not because of a police officers word, even though he is human ( apparently he might even have his feelings hurt if you don't be nice to him while he is booking you for speeding) and can make mistakes too.

I would like to think that in this counrty at least, innocence is presumed until proven otherwise, so if someone has a genuine beef with a ticket, it would be nice to think he had at least half a chance if some doubt can be shown. Sounds like this isn't the case.

I suppose in the name of revenue raising this basic cornerstone of our legal system goes out the window?

Edited by craiginmackay

• Member For: 15y 8m 5d

Im tipping you get booked alot.

Mate if someone got out of the car with the right attitude for example "My wife is having a baby" or I am bleeding to death" (Extremes but part of the point) theyd probably get off. Why? Cause I want a speed camera.

Oh and by the way, I did change jobs because letting people off was frowned upon.

Funnily enough the only fine I received in the last few years was very similar to that, except the cop fined me for a few things, didnt offer to help get her to hospital and I was very polite.

Once he handed me the fine I was anything but and told him exactly how I felt in the rudest possible way, appealed the fine and was let off.

• YBSLOW
  • Member For: 16y 1m 8d

Mate u have a good chance despite people saying you don't.

I was in your shoes 4-5 years ago and took a matter to court. I was by myself against 2 cops and their lawyer (prosecutioner). The judge believed me as I was as honest and clear as a crystal. I won.

Good luck and most of all - believe in yourself. :spoton: