Turbo Cooling Down?

Mr Meaney69

• Member For: 14y 6m 10d

Hi Guys

Is it normal that when I switch off my enging on my FG XR6 Turbo that sometimes (after a quick fang down the road) , the turbo (I am assuming) keeps running for a minute or 2???

Cheers

Sean

Edited by Mr Meaney69

• Member For: 14y 6m 20d

Hi Guys

Is it normal that when I switch off my enging on my FG XR6 Turbo that sometimes (after a quick fang down the road) , the turbo (I am assuming) keeps running for a minute or 2???

Cheers

Sean

It would be safer to not fang it down the road and then come straight back and turn it off. It needs time to cool down so when you're about 3 - 5 mins away from where you are going, take it easy and don't hit boost. Otherwise, you need to let the car sit there and idle for a couple mins to safely turn it off.

The turbo gets so hot that if you turn it off while at a high enough temperature, it will bake the oil and turn it into a solid, clogging up your whole turbo lines and ruin it.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 11m 1d

Yeah but the thing will keep spinning for at least 20 seconds after you switch it off ... if you have a keen ear you can hear this. It spins pretty freely and doesn't stop instantly when you switch off the engine.