Four Killed In Horror Smash

f-wolf

• Member For: 17y 4m 26d

Four killed in horror smash March 21, 2010 - 9:25AM

.Four people, including a child, are dead after a police chase ended in a crash in Canberra.

A man, woman and child were killed at the intersection of Canberra Avenue and the Monaro Highway exit ramp at Narrabundah when their car was hit by a vehicle being chased by police on Saturday night.

The pursuit began at 10pm at Queanbeyan in NSW, and continued into the ACT.

The man and woman in their 30s and the child died at the scene.

The driver of the other car, a man in his 20s, was taken to Canberra Hospital where he later died. His female passenger, aged in her 20s, remains in Canberra Hospital in a critical condition.

The incident will be subject to a joint critical incident investigation between NSW Police and Australian Federal Police and a report will be prepared for the information of the ACT Coroner.

AAP

Four killed in horror smash

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 9m 17d

What a tragedy. Again questioning the validity of police chases. With todays technology surely they would be caught after the event, and the penalties far harsher. Difficult issue but an answer needs to be found. What we don't hear of is the ramification on the police for inciting the chase. I'm not saying the cops were at fault, but there must be a better way than getting involved in high speed chases.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 26d

Touchy subject, and this incident is exactly why.

The fact that police are already restrained by so many policies in regards to a chase provides a greater incentive for the crims to partake. I.e. knowing that if they cross on to the wrong side of the road or drive erratically the chase is immediately called-off.

Personally I think the best option is a helicopter fitted with RPGs, use the ground patrols to find the culprit then just blow the fckers up and be done with it.

• Banned
  • Member For: 15y 2m 3d

why cant cops use those things we see in fast and furious. where they shoot something on the car, and it drains all the cars power and it goes to a halt. Or is that the rpg your talking about tab? Cause rpg to me means bazooka lol

• Team Kickass
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 23d

If you let the criminals know that if they drive dangerously the pursuit will be terminated then they wil drive dangerously and cause carnage on society, but if you ram the bastards off the road like the yanks when they drive dangerously and not care about how it affects them ( injury wise ) then they will think twice about it. By terminating pursuits because of dangerous driving we are rewarding the criminals. That said it in no way lessons the tragity when inocent people are killed because of the behaviour of the driver of stolen car lets face it if he didn't steal the car or whatever reason he was running then the pursuit would not have happened and these people would be allive these deaths lie squarely with the driver who was running from the police.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 26d

My point exactly Sly.

And by RPG I did mean rocket propelled grenades...would only have to do it a few times for it to become a big enough deterrent!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 5d

There would not be one Police Officer who would not agree more resources, more Police, harsh penalties etc etc would be greatly welcomed.

I have to admit guys it is refreshing to read responses thus far that are not pointing the finger. Just all round rotten situation.

Edited by davidg2152

• Member For: 18y 3m 16d

If you let the criminals know that if they drive dangerously the pursuit will be terminated then they wil drive dangerously and cause carnage on society, but if you ram the bastards off the road like the yanks when they drive dangerously and not care about how it affects them ( injury wise ) then they will think twice about it.

Yeh that's why nobody runs from the cops in the States right?

If someone runs from the cops they will do whatever to get away. Let them go and wait for another day. If they do get caught in a chase they lose their licences for a few years and maybe some jail time. If it goes wrong like it has here, 4 people die. Not worth it in my opinion.