Radar Detectors <merged Topic>

OwnaXR6T

• Member For: 21y 2m 16d

Timbos99,

What your friend is telling you is normal and really all you are going to get from a stationary speed camera. The radar measuring is done by a laser projected at roughly 45deg out from the side of the parked vehicle. This is different to an operator standing on the side of the road firing the laser at your vehicle. This method can be picked up much easier by a radar detector as the laser is picked up by the receiver mounted in the front of your car.

With laser detecting radar detectors if you are speeding and an operator fires the laser directly at you then you have little chance of braking in time once your detector goes off. Most of the time you are relying on the laser bouncing off other vehicles in front of you getting speed checked to slow down in time.

Fixed pole mount speed cameras use a totally different system and wont be detected by a radar detector at all. You may already know this just thought I'd mention.

Benny

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d

You might want to make sure your friend knows about the fine if they catch him...40 penalty units (currently $100 ea.)

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 8d

in NSW it is 9 points and $1,000.

• Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Yeah the fixed cameras around Brisbane have stripes on the road and work on a time/distant setup.

Interesting I would've thought that the vans radar would've been bouncing back from the cars in front it was hitting.

Mmmm I'll let Him know... $4000 is pretty hefty. I wonder if he'll be able to sell it as he doesn't live in WA?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Your mate probably drove past a Multanova radar camera, a lot of the detectors have a problem detecting this radar and often only warn you when you are a few feet away but by then its to late.

Edited by tpinto

• Member For: 17y 11m 21d

they dont really work anyway.

when police have laser guns they are on you for about a second and get a reading. As soon as the radar goes off and you begin to 'slam the breaks' lol the police man's laser gun has already caught your speed.

maybe tell your friend to look at investing in a laser jammer.

• 7 months later...
  • Banned
  • Member For: 15y 3m 5d

beltronic.

make sure you get the ones that have a special reflector shield so cops cannot detect that you have a detector in the car. lookin at about $600 AUD