Removing Cat And Dropping In A Straight Pipe?

southside

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 6m 14d

if your car has stock tune and you get a hi flow cat it will get more flow and it will over boost and you will get boost cut. my stock cat blew out I replaced it with hi flow and had alot of issues with engine cut and limp home mode kick in. but tune fixed that up I also removed the centre muffler as well and when it gets hard on boost it scream's. but it will also drone and that's a pain.

Edited by neo

• Team Kickass
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 28d

To those people who say its highly illegal and you get big fines, let me tell you I passed pits 4+ times with a 3" straight through TBE on my WRX. 120db :) Had to get a silencer but they shared no care for lack of cat.

I run a straight through pipe on my car and not once has it been an issue. Its not louder than factory and its currently flowing to around 330rwkw.

Before everyone jumps on their high horses, lets not forget that half the things on our cars could be deemed illegal. Bald tyres, mods, tint et al

If they choose to fine me this mythical internet 10K fine, they'll be getting about $10 a week for the next 100 years :)

This all well and good and from memory the fine is higher than 10k, don't forget the epa is a government department and paying the fine off at $10 a week is possible the only problem is that your licence and your registration will be cancelled until the final payment.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 12d

Ever not been a tight ass?

You spend 20-25k on a nice car then do backyard mods to it like a commodore...

yeah.. well done.

LOL yeh ok then. I'd just rather put the money I saved to actually doing something worthwhile. I go holidays at least twice a year, marlin fishing in cairns (ever hired out a game boat by yourself..). I dont choose to spend much on my car as quiet frankly, I have better things to spend it on.

Not all of us need extre "e-cred" of a $1000 dump pipe either :)

I'm flattered that you all care so much

Edited by Mat

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 1d

try calling liverpool exhaust and ask to speak to chev, tell him yout a member here and he will probibly give u a good deal.

I reccomend there hurricane cats, the 4.5 inch body 3 inch in and out cat is prety good. I have there 5 inch body 3 inch in and out cat and have done about 50k kms with no problems.

I have seen some other brand cats melt after 10k these ones seem to handle our hi temp exhaust.

they will ship interstate if needed.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 21d

Well took my car to Proflow in Townsville yesterday to have the rear muffler changed over to a straight through 3.5in and also had Andrew make up a straight piece of 3.5in stainless pipe with flanges to replace the cat for racing purposes later on...lol

With just the rear muffler changed over from the previous xforce 3.5" IN to twin exits (looks 2in inside even though the tips are bigger) the car now boosts to nearly 17psi and holds all the way until I got off it at about 4000rpm when I heard it ping!

So all in all I'd say the rear muffler on the ba/bf series xforce system is fairly restrictive. I have loaded in my baby tune from Elite until I finish everything and get Dave to tune it.

Exhaust is the full xforce split dump single 3.5in system.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 21d

Forgot to add the boost was previously 15psi tapering to 13psi ish at redline

Also had to go mild steel for the rear muffler as stainless was like 600-700 and wasn't offset correctly.

Still looks good though with the muffler painted black and a 3.5in stainless tip welded on. system is louder but nothing crazy.

Edited by bjc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 7m 2d

Some basic info on gutting cats or running decats.

If your pulled over and served a EPA test notice you have time to correct your setup before forwarding your car for testing.

It quite cheap to but a stock front pipe with cat and drop it in.

Dont do anything and let them notice your running no cat or a NON ADR APPROVED cat and its a $10,000 fine.

How many have asked if their 100cpi cat meets Aussie design rules before they fitted it?

Fail the test and a retest costs you $, serious $.

Lets not forget they also check you Db and exhaust gasses, its when the exhaust gas part fails that they begin to look at your cat, ecu and injectors.

The last horror story I heard from a mate that went though was he got the car back as a non runner, the ecu kick panel removed, they even opened his ECU looking for the aftermarket chip on his Jap import.

Being served a EPA notice is not something you want to take lightly

Id just run a gutted cat that has the same dia flanges as the exhaust pipe, get ordered to take a test and just bolt in a stock front pipe with cat.

Edited by Godzilla

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 25d

I just gotta say the biggest gutted cat giveaway is the SMELL. No one has mentioned the smell. An EPA/RTA inspector or cop who is half switched on would immediately pick this following car or with roadside inspection. Think rich sickly fumes.

Edited by kane_tools