Fpv To Supercharge New 5.0-Litre V8 To Give Ford A Power Boost To Riva

ZAP

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XR09
  • Guests

It will weigh about the same as the 6, and the weight be be located further back as its only 4 cylinders front to back, not 6 like the I6.

I was hoping, but not holding my breath. If that's the case it should out handle anything the General puts up. Or any Euro weighing the same under a buck fity. Why Ford does not exagerate this fact and slap some top shelf dampers on it amazes me.

There is no use having 470kw if you cant use them.

Supercharging gives much better throttle response and sounds the ducks guts.

If your driving a GT who cares how much juice it chews. As long as it goes and sounds as good as it looks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 30d
Falcon V8 lives on - for now

BRUCE NEWTON

February 24, 2010 Be the first to comment

XR8 is set to avoid the axe when Ford’s new V8 arrives mid-year.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela has dropped the clearest hint yet that the iconic XR8 line of Falcon performance vehicles will continue when the new Coyota V8 engine is introduced mid-year.

There had been media speculation that the XR8 sedan and ute would die with the arrival of the new 5.0-litre all-alloy engine. It was suggested Ford Performance Vehicles would become the sole home of the blue oval’s V8 sports sedans.

That would mean the normally aspirated and turbocharged XR6 models flying the sports flag for mainstream sports Falcon fans.

But Burela, who is renowned for speaking circuitously, seemed fairly clear in his message when Drive spoke to him last weekend in Abu Dhabi during the V8 Supercar championship opener.

“The whole performance strategy started with XR8,” said Burela. “XR6 came after. So would we as a company let loose the whole XR8 [heritage]? Why would you?

“And so we are excited that I think we are going to be bringing to the table more than we ever have before.

“And all I say to the fans of XR8s, performance vehicles, XR6s... ‘Just bear with us, there is some exciting stuff out there.’”

The current Falcon/FPV 5.4-litre V8 bows out of service with the arrival of the tougher Euro IV emissions on June 30. While cars with those engines can be sold after June 30, none can be built.

The current V8 produces 290kW and 520Nm in XR8, and 315kW and 551Nm in the FPV GT. In its base form, the new Coyote engine is quoted at 307kW and 528Nm in the new 2011 Mustang unveiled at last month’s Detroit motor show. No Australian performance figures have been confirmed as yet.

Meanwhile, the chairman of FPV’s majority shareholder Prodrive, David Richards, says the brand should expand into other models in the Ford line-up beyond the locally-made Falcon.

“I think the FPV brand is so well established with the performance vehicles of Ford Motor Company now I see no logic why it couldn’t become the performance brand of all Ford vehicles from Fiesta through everything.

“I am sure Rod [barrett – FPV general manager] and his team have been discussing that with Ford.”

Off another forum idk where they got it, sounds sorta true.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 11d

Correct me if I'm wrong but with a 195-210kg powerplant (allowing for the alloy cast manifold) and perhaps 350-360kw (Guess), in the current shell, that'd put the power to weight ratio up a LOT, almost equal with the W427...

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Well Venom, I hope your right.

I have worked out the extra Hungey a week to upgrade to the GT if that's the case.

When are they due to hit the dealers floor?

I love my 6, don't get me wrong. But an 8's an 8 and nothing has the presence or attitude of one.

And if this puppy is coming in with the weight distribution and mass around the same as the 6 then I just have to have one.

Is the GT going to be priced the same as the GTS? What a year we have coming up.

Sorry but WTF is that new Late model camira front? Is GM Aus a DFO for GM US or what. If that's the case I hope our falcon does not become an international star/car

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 21y 4m 30d

GT will be around the same price as now, but as with every new model you should expect a small price rise. Apparently the Coyote motor is cheap to make, and bulk purchases of superchargers will keep the unit costs down. Not having to totally assemble the whole motor with specific parts only common to that motor like they do with the current 5.4 will keep costs down.

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 10m 11d

Not having to totally assemble the whole motor with specific parts only common to that motor like they do with the current 5.4 will keep costs down.

More aussie jobs to go... :stupid: