Fpv To Supercharge New 5.0-Litre V8 To Give Ford A Power Boost To Riva

ZAP

• Member For: 15y 12d

I use a Dynamic Test Systems ProDyne, certified by Rochwell. My BF XR6T 6 speed auto when stock made 202 rwkW. A stock 260 BA auto makes 180 rwkW, a manual 190. Stock FG XR6T manual about 230 rwkW. Territory of BF vintage with a six speed auto makes 185 into 4 wheels. Tuned BA Auto with 260 rwkW on our dyno runs 12.3 @ 113 mph on stock tyres, exhaust, tune, injectors, ebay cooler and 11-12 psi.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 30d

Good stuff! The BF XR6T seems accurate (I don't recall stock ranges for the others as I'm a turbo lad), mine ran 208. You need to run a GT and GS up on it! I agree we need more dyno results from stock cars and the new 5.0 on identical dynos for comparison due to the inherent variances. Can't wait.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 29d

I think that's a pretty good gain for something that comes from the factory, will be a simple procedure and I still think you could argue/play dumb your way to keeping warranty. Just claim it was running rough a while back and you asked Ford for a quick flash and wipe any error codes, so they must have f*cked up.

But its not simple - they're different parts, which means that all the key areas of the car (PCM, Cluster, BEM) will be looking for a GS calibration. You need a dealer to change it all. Lets also not forget that the trans calibrations are different.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

dontknow.gif Seems like every one has already wiped their hands of the XR6T.

mmmm So far in two tests I have read the GT is slower than the T. They saved what ??? 40kg all up on the new motor. Doesn't that still leave us 70kg in front.

Doing up the GS ??? Why. It will cost double to get the power out of it compared to a T. Not to mention longevity of the motor. And rebuilds will be like a second motgage. And you can bet your left nut Ford will program and electronically stuff any thoughts of making a GS anywhere near as fast as the GT. It just makes buisness sence.

There is still nothing in the world like that turbo rush. And now they are making a variable vein turbo's.

Pound for pound the 6 is still king till proven otherwise I reckon.

Nice to dream, but a pussy in the hand is better than your dick.

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 3d

But its not simple - they're different parts, which means that all the key areas of the car (PCM, Cluster, BEM) will be looking for a GS calibration. You need a dealer to change it all. Lets also not forget that the trans calibrations are different.

Ahhh, that sounds more like it. I asked somebody a while ago and a few times since, claiming the cars Go Parts are identical. I didn't think FPV would make it that easy, so 315 to 335 is not "just a tune" there are physical parts involved.

Thanks for that Bunna.

• Member For: 18y 3m 27d

I think you have misunderstood Bunna, the physical parts are the same, he means there is different control units all sharing common information and it would not just be possible for a GT tune to be flashed into a GS and all work together, all items would have to match to work, feel free to correct me Bunna if I'm wrong.

A tuner could over right a GT tune specs onto a GS tune and it would work as a GT

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 3d

Ratter, that's how I originally understood it. A lot has been said on the cars drive line being separated by only a tune. But its more complicated than that. Someone running a 400rwkw race tune but flashing in a 380rwkw street tune to me is how the GS and GT have been put out there. Same engine just just a different flash. But if other things need recalibrating (like the gearbox, that's not come up before) and what ever else its just not as simple as I thought it might have been. I just thought tuners were going to be able to make a mint off of selling a flash box with a GT tune and away goes the punter in less than 10 minutes. No need for custom work and runs on the dyno as everything would be fine as it would be a factory setting. They could even have it mail ordered. Good info here guys thanks

Edited by Rancidpunx

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 29d

I'm sure if someone was cluey enough they could flash a GT tune into a GS without any problem whatsoever - itd be no different to flashing a custom tune in. But it would also void your warranty in exactly the same way.

To put it simply: the GS car looks for the GS PCM software. If you flash the GT tune in, then the dealer will see its been reflashed and your warranty is bye bye as per custom tunes. If you wanted to be tricky and put the GT PCM software in the car then you need to make the car "re-learn" to look for this software. Otherwise it'll just immobilise or go into limp mode or other non-fast scenario, since the car won't see software that it recognizes as appropriate.

There is no physical difference between hardware parts (heck - an XT PCM is the same as a GTP PCM) but the software itself is a unique part for each variant.

The TCM cal difference probably just puts the extra nail in the coffin of the whole idea.

The only way to do it is with an IDS tool at your dealer (good luck!)

• Member For: 15y 12d

Good stuff! The BF XR6T seems accurate (I don't recall stock ranges for the others as I'm a turbo lad), mine ran 208. You need to run a GT and GS up on it! I agree we need more dyno results from stock cars and the new 5.0 on identical dynos for comparison due to the inherent variances. Can't wait.

What dyno are your figures off?

In regards to tuning, the gains on a stock engine come from optimizing timing to suit 98 as well as a bit off leaning down WOT. Without knowing all the details of the two vehicles such as are the intake and exhaust identical, provided the engine internals are the same, such as camshaft profiles and Boost of course then both have the same capability. I haven't looked to see if SCT have done the code for tuning these yet, if anything like the past the likelyhood is the transmission stuff may not be immediatly available.

cheers