Fpv To Supercharge New 5.0-Litre V8 To Give Ford A Power Boost To Riva

ZAP

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 30d

But on topic, that's the general consensus around here too. A 5k increase for just a motor is a bit steep in the publics eyes. New stripe packages won't cut it either. Needs to be something else...

Just a motor? why is it not worth an extra 5k? heck - everyone pays an extra 4k for just a turbo! Not to mention every FPV owner who saw fit to fork out tens of thousands extra for some stickers and more power :3gears:

Fact is the buying public will decide whether this very different powerplant is worth the extra dough and the sales will tell the tale. My guess is f*ck yes.

• Member For: 15y 3m 11d

The wait for this has gotten a bit boring.....

I was amped to see what was happening 3 months ago but now im sick of waiting.

Could it be that Ford is just waiting for sales on the the old Nugget 5.4 to finish

before releasing the new Motor?

Not sure why anyone would buy one though knowing the new ones around the corner.

Edited by IBOO57

• Member For: 20y 1m 22d

Looking forward to seeing these things but was kind of hoping they'd use the real new boss engine, the 6.2 sohc (the new block with wider bore spacing) that they replaced the 5.4 with in the states in the F150 raptor truck, rather than the coyote (from what I understand is a bored out 4.6).

309kw @ 5500rpm and 588nm running 9.8:1 compression in truck trim on any grade fuel http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-6.2l-engine-specs.htm, if FPV had of bumped the compression or even just changed the cams or tuned it for premium I'm sure it would of been more than competitive with the ls3 chev. I've also heard that Ford US have already developed a 7.0 litre version of this engine and fitted DOHC heads, producing upto 800hp in their drag race testing programe aspirated..

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in the new V8 but realisticaly I wont jump in until its had time to prove itself. I give it 2 years befor I consider changing.

I am guessing that this engine will be with falcons for a long time (longer than the 5.4) and they arnt going to release it in maxed out form straight away. People will make the move anyway even if its only a slight power jump and then they will slowly up the power over the next 5-10 years. Remember the LS1 came out with 220kw and slowly crept up over time.

Two big questions for me will be

1) entry level tuning potential (injectors/cat/exhaust/IC) of the lowest S/C version (GS or xr8). If I can get 350rwkw and 850+nm for a couple of extra grand I'd be happy as this is 50rwkw up on what you can get out of a xr6t for the same tuning $$$ (the sound of a V8 that doesnt go through a turbo is schweeeeeet)

2)will the drive line components stand up to it? I do alot of KMs and the turbo's power delivery seems to be kind to the current components. A SC V8 might be a bit to sharp in its responce and I dont want to have to be replacing drive line bits every 20,000 kms.

• Member For: 16y 5m 20d

I won a competition called Ultimate Ford Experience which was run by Ford Australia to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Falcon. We got to meet Marin Burela, go on tours of the design studio, the assembly plant, the engine assembly plant, the sheet metal stamping plant and go for laps around the test track (high speed and durability loops) at You Yangs Proving ground. Oh yeah and have lunch with Marin, Allan Moffat and Dick Johnson at the Ford Discovery Centre.

ANYWAY

Whilst at the design studio I saw the rear bar of the new XR8 being milled out of clay (clay model) and the XR8 had the quad pipe setup for the new V8. So that would pretty much confirm XR8 is still around.

Later in the day at the proving ground when I was in the new FG Turbo ready to do some hot laps with the test driver we had to wait for the new GT test mule to drive past us so we could cross the high speed bowl. It pulled up right near us and then just launched it off the line through the first couple of gears. OMG I can confirm it sounded SO TOUGH while doing it. Once again it had the quad pipes under the rear bar.

Our test driver said "I can't believe you guys are actually allowed to see this" etc etc.

It was pretty epic and sounded awesome.

The ride around the test track in the FG Turbo was insane. It was wet and we were doing around 150km/hr around these chicanes and the way the thing held on with the T/C working overtime was extremely impressive. It made my BF's system look prehistoric. We hit 205km/hr down the back straight then hard on the anchors into this tight hairpin left. Even the stock brakes are a step up over the ones in my BF imo. The driver Shane was so good! He used to work for Bently as a test driver there but now obviously works for Ford Aus. Him and another guy get to thrash XR6 Turbo's and XR8's around that track all day. Dream job.