Zf Not Shifting Up Gears

GreyXR6_Turbo

• Member For: 16y 14d

Gday all

I recently took my BF2 turbo on a trip down to Eden, and loved it for its comfort and refinement. However, I noticed when I went to overtake a car in an overtaking lane, I applied some throttle, and the ZF went down a few gears, revving at about 3000RPM. However, it refused to drop back into the higher gears once easing off the throttle? I gave it a few seconds to get back to a cruising gear, but I had to shift it into performance mode, then into 6th gear manually... Awesome automatic, still good in every way except for this issue.

The vehicle is still under warranty. Can Ford reflash the computer to fix the problem?

I have also heard that having two rear tyres (these cars with the 6 speed auto) at different tread levels can muck around with the auto?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

• Member For: 21y 2m 20d

This sounds fairly normal to me..

If you are a little enthusiastic with the throttle in any auto mode (which you obviously were is you dropped a few gears), the box will hold gears for a while after you get off the throttle thinking you are planning on having more fun any moment... this is a GREAT thing wen you are on tracks or on windy mountain roads!

If you wait a bit, the box will drop back into higher gear/s; or you can blip the throttle a tiny bit after you come off and it will then begin upshifting away to 6th again.

An easy way to avoid it if for some reason you do not like this is when you accelerate regardless of throttle input, ease off the throttle gently and progressively; don't just go right to 0% throttle as it will hold the gears like you mentioned.

It is a smart box...

:beerchug:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 19d

Your right the auto does hold the gear even after you let off after overtaking, I think that is because you take off in a spirited fashion it expects you to keep driving like that so it holds.

I also notice that if you ease off progressively as mentioned above it upshifts normally.

Hope that helps