Ba Xr6 P Plater Help

nicc

• Member For: 15y 3m 8d

Hi everyone, been on the forum for a while, just never posted.

I just bought my first car. It is a 2005 BA XR6 non turbo:(.

I am looking to do a few mods to it and need some advice.

1. I am looking at getting some 19 or 20 inch rims with some lowering springs. What would be a good size spring to go with? Low, Super Low, Ultra Low's? And roughly how much will I pick these up for including fitting?

2. I want it to sound nicer and louder, I don't know if you just need extractors or a whole new exhaust or what. Please tell me what you would recommend and isnt too much $$$. It is only tiptonic Auto, will it still sound good ?

3. I will be converting to an aftermarket head unit so I can have iPod connect and premium sound. I will most likely replace all the speakers and add a sub or two. Are the ICC fascia holders on eBay any decent?

4. I might even consider one of those tuners what you download to your ECU. Will these work on non-turbo's and will it give me much more power. I cant exceed 200kw because of P plate laws. Are they worth the price?

It will be greatly appreciate if I can get some knowledge about the above or any other suggestions will be great, engine wise or not.

Nic

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 1d

Hey mate, my little brother has a BA N/A Tiptronic too, and with the just the rear muffler removed it sounds pretty good-ish.

The only way too make it quick is to throw a lot of money at it, and it wont be p-plate legal then. His is on 20s too and with the lowest king springs he could get (through wholesale suspension/Site Sponsor) its still at a good height. no hassles with speed bumps or anything.

Best way to get it moving would be some big diff gears, stally, and a full exhaust.

• Member For: 17y 6m 11d

Sounds like you are going about it the right way and not purchasing a Turbo straight out.

Here are some vids on Youtube of XR6's with exhaust mods.

I reckon it sounds pretty good but I dunno what they have done.

• Member For: 15y 4m 17d

personally I think that if you want a sound, the best thing that I have done is a 2.5 inch cat back mild steel system.

Doesn't really matter if its press bent or mandrel bent, but if its power your after then mandrel bent is what you need.

about your power mods, the first thing I would do, if you have the money to spare, is get a full system, inc.

performance headers

dump pipe

hi flow cat

then the system from the cat back.

My system has a hi flow cat to a resonator to a 2.5 pipe to a muffler then another resonator and then the tip. It actually has the v8 rumble that most people are after. Although its still not a v8 :buttrock:

I still have the stock headers and dump pipe, I got a press bent mild steel system. I have lost a little power but I also have lpg installed so I lose a bit there too.

The aftermarket head unit, just keep the icc in place and connect one where the tissue box holder is, dont bother with a holder, just screw it in through the side, if it is cut and connected properly it will be perfect and you can hook an amp and there are more opportunities with an after marked head unit.

Check out the audi9o section, it has heaps of ideas in it.

the tuner will get you more power, im not sure too much as I havn't opted this way, but generally speaking, if you want a lot of power from an n/a, you need to spend a few thousand.

The N/a's have plenty of power as is, but they could do with more.

Any more questions just P.M me and I may be able to help

with the rims, any will do aslong as they fit, but if your on a budget you can get your standard springs compressed by specialty companies to a height that your after. I have heard that this way works out cheaper.

• Member For: 15y 8m 15d

Good to see a P plater with their head on right :buttrock:

Yes the flash tuners work on all AU falcon and newer, however, if your KW limit is 200, then extractors, exhaust and CAI may take it up over that at the fly wheel so prob no need for a tune.

Congrats on your new car and enjoy and don't do too many :bowdown::blaah::blaah:

• Member For: 15y 1d

yeah im in the exact situation as you are and those ideas sound pretty good

what I've understood from these forums is that if you can bother to wait its best to get yourself a turbo straight up rather than spending on headers, extractors, full exhaust etc. (I.e. exactly wat I was thinking :)

I personally hav been driving my manual NA for almost 2 years now and its a dream :buttrock:

gettin a turbo is always in the back of my mind but to be perfectly honest I'm more than happy with what the NA manual has to offer

• Member For: 15y 3m 8d

Thanks guys for the input. Dont think I will be going with any performance mods now as I should just wait and upgrade once im on my opens.

I dont have much understanding on cars yet, I was more into boats till I got my licence, so all the hi cat flow/dump pipe/headers is still all a bit confusing for me.

Haha Ben, I've tried, whats the go? Foot on break and accelerate away?

Wish mine was manual Mastika, I just never had a manual car to practice in, but from my understanding the tiptonics are just as good?

Edited by nicc