Bf Mkii 2008 Upgrade?

jim985

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 15d

I think we have a case of the old chinese whispers here... it sounds like an extended version of the "post 06/06 build XR6Ts having typhoon long motors" which of course is true, but I think he or someone he has spoken to has stretch it a little bit ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 7d

You never know, Ford have done it before a few times.

The last 15 years are littered with factual stories of when a model nears changeover Ford utilise parts from both models and slap together a bitsa engine, or bitsa drive train where they can.

Having owned one of these bitsa cars in the past, I can assure you its true. Only problem is, Ford don't retune to suit, so you end up with something that's not as powerful and uses more fuel.

• Member For: 14y 11m 21d

Ex police 08 car with 88000kms :bangcomputer: I think this thing would be about the same as buying a privately owned car with about 200000kms on it.

but it has premium sound!!!! .... so you can really enjoy that quality rendition of the Dukes of Hazard theme song while in hot pursuit.

• Member For: 18y 29d

:B): salesman just keep getting better and better....

I remember a Bitsash*tty salesman in the mid 90s telling me the GSR was the world's fastest accelerating car. He asked me to leave the yard when I laughed at him, and told him he forgot about the Evos, plus every Ferari, Lambo and exotic ever built, not to mention the stroller mum used to mushe me in.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 7m 6d

I purchased a very late 06 bfmkii with 40,000kms, manual, c&v Tunes, prem sound, tint, 19" FPV typhoon rims, car bra, gen sheeps wool seat covers, 12 months rego, f6 intake, guages, immaculate body and paint (thanks to a very anal owner) for $28k almost a year ago. There are great deals out there, keep looking.

Ask yourself: do you want a babied pride and joy with low kms and perfect history for extra $$, or a thrashed ex-chaser with a dodgy past and high kms for less $$???? Buying a decent car isnt a decision you should make lightly... don't make price your number one priority..

• Member For: 15y 5m 27d

Its an ex chaser...

This car at Fowles Govt Auction in Sydney would fetch around 16-17k.

Do they really go for that low? On the Government Auctions site, they predict between 20-24k for most of the chasers.

I would love to spend more but I am really at my max to get to low 20's. Being a uni student is not good for cash flow. I have landed a summer job 3 days drive away from where I live, and want to drive the car there. So I really need to sell mine and buy a new one soon so I can get any little problems sorted before I set off.

I don't have heaps of time to play with, and if I dont go through a dealer then I will have to sell my car private, which is also a pain. I know I may end up paying a little more for the convienience, but as long as the extra money also is including a warranty, and a car that has been properly looked over then im happy.

My dad was both a cop and a car salesman. He reckons the cop cars were still good when he got rid of them (mid you this was a LONG time ago). He also said that when big dealers buy cars from the auctions the get their mechanics to check them over, if they are bad they just send them back to the auctions for a refund.

With all that in mind, if the car seems tired or worn I just wont buy it. Someone has suggested looking at the oil line to the turbo, is there any other bits I should pay particular attention to?

I do appreciate everyones help, and do agree that ideally I would spend closer to 30k for a mint one, but ideal doesnt really come into it.

• Member For: 16y 1m 12d

I tested some ex chasers that felt ok but I dont know how theyd be in 6 months or a year. But the money they wanted wasnt much off the going rate for other Ts.

I saw chasers regularly go below 20k at the auctions but theres no way to drive it and see if its any good. Personally I wouldnt do it. But I got my bf2 40k auto for $24k including auction fees and it had everything I was looking for. It was a privately owned car too.

Be patient and keep looking around. You can watch fowles auctions online so doing your homework is easy, as is looking interstate.

• Member For: 15y 11m

Jim

I picked up an ex-chaser and havent had an issue other than a perished rubber joiner between exhaust and turbo which was replaced under warranty. I've replaced the oil feeder line with the ETM one to be cautious rather than because I had a problem. My car is a BF2 11/06 which I picked up start of this year for just under $20, 000 from a dealer the car had 60k on the clock and was from exotic Condobolin.

Check the service record to see where the car was based, if it's a country car it would have been driven from a hidey hole to about 130km with a fair few high speed runs which is my usual weekend :beerchug: . I wouldn't have bought it if it was a city chaser, hand brake turns and median strip hopping probably does not equal good 2nd hand car.

+1 on worn driver seat but nothing my throw over seat cover doesn't fix lol.

I've had the car over the pits a few times and always given a clean bill of health and I've put bout 15k on it. Senna's checking it out tomorrow for suspension so can let you know what sort of shape it's in.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 7m 6d

I would love to spend more but I am really at my max to get to low 20's. Being a uni student is not good for cash flow. I have landed a summer job 3 days drive away from where I live, and want to drive the car there. So I really need to sell mine and buy a new one soon so I can get any little problems sorted before I set off.

...To be honest, you may be buying a car that's outside of your pay packet. Insurance, extra fuel costs, the tuning bug, the way they consume parts, all add up to a figure way beyond what most people first imagine. What happens when your summer job is over? Without sounding father-ish, why not wait until you're finished uni with a full time job, then you will be able to get into an FG for similar money. I put up with a camry for 6 years beofre I purchased my T. It had 300,000kms on it but it cost next to nothing. If you are at your max at low 20s, you should be looking for a car around $10k until you can afford something in the 25-30k bracket. Don't flame me, its simply wise moeny. Live like no-one else now so you can live like no-one else later. <---- that's a lesson I wished I learned earlier...

Advice. Take it or leave it.