Engine Missfiring After Car Wash

xlr8ford

• Member For: 16y 4m 20d

Ran perfect for about 2 mins and then started missfiring again.. but this time if u try and push the petal past half way or full petal it will miss until the motor is close to stalling..

this sounds familar...

has it randomly stalled on you at all?

I had the same thing. my list:

started with coils and that helped a lot (swapped with another falcon, both cars ran better so I doubt it was coils)

next was fuel filter. it was filthy (paid a fortune for a service 10,000km ago and got charged for a replacement fuel filter...). again it seemed to help for a while but if the car was left sitting idle for a few minutes it would start to miss again

after that was plugs. all gapped to 0.81 I think it was. didnt make a difference at all although the old plugs didnt look great (replaced in the same service as the fuel filter...)

with it still randomly missing and sometimes stalling I decided to have a look at it with a newly aquired exhaust gas analyser. sitting idle AFRs were around 14.7. every now and then the car would cough a little and idle really rough and AFRs would shoot up to around 16 then come back down and idle went back to normal. when the car was running right WOT AFR was around 11.6 but when it was cutting out it spiked to around 15-16 before backing off.

after seeing that I replaced the fuel pump with a Walbro GS341 and havent seen a problem since. cost $155 from Rapid and came with everything needed to fit and took an hour or so to do in the back yard.

cliffs: replace your fuel pump

• 2 weeks later...