Data Logging

plasmid2

• Member For: 16y 4m 13d

As I am also new to this. Can you explain what the first graph means?

Difference between LTFT and STFT.

I forgot to mention. I had a go at data logging today and wasn't able to get it to work. I have a 03 BA. I understand that you can't data log everything but I think I am missing something.

The xcal2 seems to recognize that that is what I am trying to do but seems to drop out. After I hit go it starts recording but I have no values for the chosen PID's. I tried both lower case and uppercase PID's with no luck. I have set Livelink to administrator as well. Are there other settings that I need to hit to make it to work? For example I just leave it on COM1.

Once again thanks for your time.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/Why-Tuners-Hate-60lb-Siemens-t55584.html Page 3 of this thread references fuel trims and will help understand the first graph. I did that log when the car was cold so I should have waited a few more minutes for the LTFT to settle to get a more accurate reading.

The best way to datalog is to do it live and record logs straight to your laptop.

1) Start computer and open up livelink.

2) plug USB A-B cable into your xcal2 if you haven't already done so.

3) Plug the xcal2 into the OBDII port......don't touch anything on the xcal.

4) Plug the xcal2 to your computer via the USB A-B cable.

5) Turn car to "ON" position.

6) PID selection should come up automatically...if it doesn't click the 'get pids' in livelink.

7) Click ok when done and all the PIDS should come up in livelink in a list on the left of the screen.

8) Click on the boxes to insert a tick for the ones you want recorded.

9) Right click on the dashboard/gauge thingo's and select what PIDS you want shown live.

10) Turn the car on.

11) Press the green button in livelink to start seeing live data.

12) Press the red button to stop data logging and then save the file to your desktop or something.

Cheers.

• Member For: 16y 4m 13d

Great read! Very technical.

Have you had much experience adjusting the low speed fan and the high speed fan temps?

I presume by changing the temperature settings you change when the fans come on. Is this correct? I find these cars seem to run very hot in summer and therefore affect performance. So can you adjust the fan temps through the xcal2 to come on earlier therefore keeping everything a bit cooler? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks again for any advice.

plasmid2.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d

Yeah you can change the cooling fan temps with the xcal2, however you can only do so if your tuner has given you access to do so! Basically when you load a tune from advantageIII to the xcal you can "program with options" or "program without options". If the tuner has progrmmed the xcal without options then you can't do anything. The tuner also has the ability to select what option he/she will allow you to change via the xcal and also enter a range by how big/small you can change the tunes parameters.

Most people opt to install a cooler thermostat which brings operating temps down to just above a quarter on the dial. But it's best to re-calibrate the fan temps at the same time....which you can do via the xcal if your tuner has allowed it :-) I can PM you my fan temp settings if you like?

• Member For: 15y 9m 15d

no livelink for Mac!!! AAAARRGGGGHHHHH

If you're running an intel mac mate, go to www.virtualbox.org and install windows XP. virtulbox is free but will only work with an intel mac with OS 10.5 or later

Cheers,

Ben

• 2 months later...
  • ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 6d

If you're running an intel mac mate, go to www.virtualbox.org and install windows XP. virtulbox is free but will only work with an intel mac with OS 10.5 or later

Cheers,

Ben

I'm keeping my macbook standard (except for eRecord & any updates the OS needs).

I have dug out my old Toshiba laptop and loaded LiveLink onto it, haven't tried it yet though.