4 Speed Auto

GR8XR6

• Banned
  • Member For: 15y 2m 10d
2500 or 2800 stall converter? Which do I go??

:blink:

im in the same boat. Maybe we cna both take it into see PHIL and he can look after us both and in prices. I want mine organised to take in next friday.... Will call him monday. (Phil @ Bayswater).

Thinking a 2800 stall. My auto has a shiftkit transmod already so dont know if that will play. Will also have a transcooler fitted. Got prices ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 10d

I'm keen to hear more on this thread. GR8XR6 - which way did you end up going?

I've been running up to 250rwkw for nearly 5 years (and over 100,000kms) with a trans cooler and increased line pressure without a hint of a problem. However, I just had it re-tuned last Saturday to 330rwkw and busted the converter down WSID the following day running on MTs.

So my question: is it better to rebuild the box before it goes or just hope for the best? What price difference are we talking about between beefing up a working box compared to rebuilding a box that has let go?

To fix my converter I have a number of options starting from installing a beefed up standard converter, right up to installing a 3000 stall converter. I'm inclined to just beef up a standard converter.

Either way, going by what I've read, I think I'll be keeping off the strip with this setup and running standard street tyres to limit the stress on the box.

• Member For: 15y 2m 11d

Best option is to get box fixed Before it gets worse as it'll end up costing more.

4sd's Will fail eventually after engine mods have been done and they are taking more power.

Mine was slipping from 2nd to 3rd so I had it rebuilt. Cost $3k, has a 2year warranty and can handle upto 350rwkw no problems. Stall increased to 2800.

Go to Kewish. These guys are experts on 4spd's.

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 6d

It's still going ok. I think I'm going to send it in this week to strengthen with 2800 stallie at bayswater.

See what happens!

:w00t2:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 14d

There is nothing wrong with these boxes as long as they are built properly.

Mine has survived 380 odd rwkw, 45000km and over 50 passes at WSID and still shifts well with minimal slip. This is over a 3 year period where is has run 10 sec passes whenever I've gone out with semislicks.

• Member For: 16y 1m 6d
There is nothing wrong with these boxes as long as they are built properly.

Mine has survived 380 odd rwkw, 45000km and over 50 passes at WSID and still shifts well with minimal slip. This is over a 3 year period where is has run 10 sec passes whenever I've gone out with semislicks.

Where did you get your box done?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 2d

Dont even bother going to Yarra Valley Automatics unless u want a massive headache, and a built box wont last forever either, my std one didnt last too long, 6mnths, but I did race it on Mt's a fair bit.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 6d

My car has run around 40 passes at willowbank with about half of them in the 11's with MT's and it has not missed a beat. Over a 10month period it has done about 5000k's. Built by Gilroy Automotive and tuned by Elite Automotive. Bought the car from a bloke in Sydney who had it tuned by C&V, it went well but the box stuffed up twice in 1500k's! :crybaby: Once on the drive home to Brisbane, and once about 2 weeks after I got it back to Brissy. Like I said, I then had it rebuilt myself by Gilroy's and tuned myself by Elite and the thing has been faultless. 1.59 60 footers and all!!! :stupid:

GET IT BUILT PROPERLY, GET IT TUNED PROPERLY AND IT WILL LIVE!!

Steve

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 14d
that's good meilage and track use out of one trans. Either very lucky or whoever built it and tuned it are 100% spot on. Good work.

The box was built through Tunehouse in Sydney and they tune and service my car. They have done all the work from new.