Abs Problems

XR64LT

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 13d

hey guys and girls. just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with their abs system and what happened if so. reason I ask is because ive been having some shuddering issues since ive had the car (around 3 months) its also a 03 model T, thought it was the brakes so, ive had all discs machined, new pads, new brake master cylinder, flushed out the fluids and replaced with new stuff, new seals in the calipers, still shuddered than I changed the calipers thinking they may be warped but still it shudders, the only other thing my mechanic says it could be is the abs playing around.

got any ideas people?? thanks Leo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 5d

I think your mechanic has NFI. Abs can't cause it to shudder. One interesting thing I read on the DBA installation instructions is that if the wheel bearing has too much play in it, it could cause uneven disc wear very quickly even on new disks and in turn cause it to shudder. Makes sense so might be worth checking that, from memory I think it said maximum play is 0.05 mm (not 100% sure on the number).

just to eliminate ABS try breaking very hard in a safe place to cause wheel lockup to see how ABS pulsates if it's different to your shuddering it's not ABS.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 14d

When is it shuddering? You haven't told us when the shudder occurs - if its happening under brakes then fair enough, however if its just while cruising you have to look elsewhere like wheel alignment and balance

• Donating Members

Mostly while cruising, the steering wheel will start shaking pretty hardcore. I also had springs installed this weekend and which I had a wheel alignment done but still does it

I think your mechanic has NFI. Abs can't cause it to shudder. One interesting thing I read on the DBA installation instructions is that if the wheel bearing has too much play in it, it could cause uneven disc wear very quickly even on new disks and in turn cause it to shudder. Makes sense so might be worth checking that, from memory I think it said maximum play is 0.05 mm (not 100% sure on the number).

just to eliminate ABS try breaking very hard in a safe place to cause wheel lockup to see how ABS pulsates if it's different to your shuddering it's not ABS.

So you think the wheel bearings are causing this?

Also tried with my mate who is a mechanic at ford the lock-up option, seems its anti-locks/pulsates the way it should.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 5d

So it happens while cruising without applying pressure on the brake???

If so has nothing to do with brakes, when was the last time you balanced your wheels?

• Donating Members

ok well while cruising and the shuddering starts to happen, if I was to later on give the brakes a quick pump while driving 7/10 times it will go away

• Member For: 16y 1m 13d

I have the exact same problem, changed the disks, pads and the master cylinder but the issue is still there. Also gone down the path of wheel alignment and balance still no luck. I know 100% my brakes are grabbing cause I'm changing pads every 4 months.

One thing I have noticed is that it is a little better since I changed the master cylinder, I'm thinking of changing the brake lines do you think that is the right path or should I give Ford a call.