Motor Magazine Fpv F6 The Best Aussie Muscle Car Ever

Corzza

• Member For: 16y 8m 13d

I bought Motor Mag last Wednesday and saw that they were featuring a 10 best ever oz muscle car section. I opened to the page and expected to see the usual characters 71 GTHO Phase III, then 77 A9X etc.....but to my amazement No 1 was the 2008 FPV F6.

I was a bit stumped not seeing the 71 GTHO Phase III as No 1 but all the way down in No 4. What the??

However it then got me thinking and there is no doubt I reckon that the FPV F6 should at least be in the Top 3 best ever oz muscle cars.

The FPV F6 is underrated by todays standards and in 20 years time when these cars have been legislated off the road as a new car, people will reflect back and think how the F6 was revolutionary in bringing Aussie Turbo muscle to the scene to challenge the imports. Where else in the world can you have a family car to lend to your wife to drop the kids at school, do the shopping but then with $6-10k of mods can drop a 11sec quarter.?? The tuneable bang for your buck is unheard of and the in gear acceleration is at supercar levels. Even as a stocker its 80-120km/h times are right up there with a Porsche 911 turbo, Nissan GT-R etc (Cars which are purpose built costing 2-4 times the price)

So while we can always argue about placings, in my mind the FPV F6 is right up there in terms of the best ever oz muscle cars....and im pretty sure history will prove me right.

By the way this is how Motor Mag lists the Top 10 aussie muscle cars:

1 08 FPV F6

2 77 Expensive Daewoo Torana A9X

3 85 HDT VK SS Group A

4 71 XY Falcon GTHO Phase III

5 67 XR Falcon GT

6 88 HSV VL Group A

7 69 Expensive Daewoo HT Monaro 350

8 72 Torana GTR XU-1

9 08 HSV W427

10 72 VH Charger E49

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 3m 13d

You wont get any argument out of me,you dont just get the grunt either ,the whole package : Looks,handling ,braking ,safety.........................................................................

..................... :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m

Dags has a point...

When thinking of 'muscle', what comes to mind? A big metal thing with a big V8, simple. Just look at the list of what its compared too above... When you think of a 'tuner' car its generally an 'import' but doesnt have to be. Its mainly a car with a turbo or 2, big cooler, making all the right noises, body kits, neons etc...

IMO the F6 is a mix of both, it is a big metal thing but with a turbo'd engine... so yeah in a class of its own I guess??

• Member For: 16y 9m 29d

Well, I can understand a V8 being called "muscle" but I can't agree to it being the only "muscle". You have to remember the XU1 and the charger were both 6's in that list and as far as Aussie cars go, I'd be confused if they weren't on that list.

• Member For: 15y 9m 6d

Thanks for the scan, corzza. :idunno:

In the USA the S4 is about $55K with a lot of options, yet we get royally raped. Even better the RS4 was about $65K when we were paying $165K. The 335i in the US is around $40-45K.

Spot on, if you convert the price tag of the 335i, it becomes $AU50-60K - even the M3 sedan costs $US55K+ ($AU70K+). But the Australian market has much higher tariffs than America. A sub 60K 335i right here would absolutely slaughter the local competition and a lot of Aussie jobs.

60K for a 335i or 60K for an F6 - now the bang for buck winner isn't so clear.

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 18d

Errr except how would you get a $60k M3 in Australia??!! No point in evaluating based solely on hypotheticals which have no possibility of actually eventuating. Even if you bought one in the US you'd have to bring it over here... and you wouldn't be able to drive it sitting in the wrong front seat, so there'd be conversion costs...

FWIW, let's not forget that over the last 12 months $50k US could have been anything from $52k AU to over $100k AU as well

Edited by ronburgundy

• Member For: 15y 9m 6d

Ron, I was reinforcing Evil F6's point about us getting raped on prices. No matter how you cut it, you get a much better deal for the same car in the US.

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 18d

Amen to that! On the downside... well, you'd be living in the US!

Which means at the moment you'd have even LESS chance of having a job than we do here!