Xr6t Vibration At Idle. Can Anyone Offer Advice?

new370

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y

I doubt the balancer is loose. The "movement" you mechanic mate is finding is most likely (IMHO) the crank moving between tdc on two cylinders.

The ford turbo six engines are relativly low compression and can be turned between TDC on companion cylinders by hand if you pull on the belts.

You don't need to remove the turbo to replace the drivers side engine mount. You need to lift the engine until the mounts clears the cross member and the mount assembly can then be removed from the block. You need to disassemble the mount assembly on the bench and replace the rubber cushion and then reassemble and reinstall the mount assembly.

Luke

• Member For: 17y 7m 21d

if you dont remove or atleast move the turbo how will you get to the top nut on the mount???...... magic? lol.... turbo needs to come off or atleast un bolt it and lift it to get to that bolt and also to take the heat shield off that's covering that mount, one of my mates left his oil and water lines connected but still had to lift it to get to the bolt and at the top of the mount but this did cause him to bend the oil feed line and I remeber him telling me that he almost kinked it.... so your better off taking the turbo off and while your there might aswell put in a 12psi actuator (for later mods). all in all the turbo needs to be atleast un-bolted from the engine and exhaust.

cheers and good luck.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y

Support the engine,Unbolt the aluminum top mount from the block, remove the lower through bolt from the crossmember. Lift the engine, remove the rubber mount, reassemble and reinstal. I've change my rhs mount twice without removing the turbo of bending everything. I forgot to install the heat shield the first time and was able to install it and the lock washer that retains it.

I use a long and short series snapon Flex head ratchet, with a 50 and 75mm wobble extension, it also helps to have a normal 6pt socket and a uni-socket.

You won't do it with a 1/2" racthet and sockets.

• Member For: 17y 5m 15d

I can tell you one thing right!

- It's the 'Drivers side' Engine Mount that goes first, not the Passengers side!

- It gets heat effected by the Turbo and the Manifold.

I have a BA Turbo and have replaced this side, on average, every '12' Months!

- Over '7' Years!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 2d

I am also having problems at idle with the engine vibrating and it also vibrates when I am driving and take my foot off the throttle. I was putting mine down to a broken coil pack as I know one has a crack on the top but doesn't play up when driving normally or giving it WOT.

If the mount was broken and you revved the car up would the engine twist to a degree. ?

Just seen the post above about putting it in reverse to check

Edited by ugy

• Member For: 16y 10m 5d

thanks,

do u undo these block bolts from underneath the car?

how long do u think it would take to do this job in a garage at home with no hoist?

also regarding the harmonic balancer looseness..... just spoke again to my mate and he still thinks the balancer may be loose on the key.... can u give me any more info I could put to him that this rocking is normal? (he rocks the harmonic balancer using the belts and it moves (he believes its moving on the shaft) checking his bf non turbo lpg as a comparison, it doesnt move at all. any ideas to discuss with him? thanks

Support the engine,Unbolt the aluminum top mount from the block, remove the lower through bolt from the crossmember. Lift the engine, remove the rubber mount, reassemble and reinstal. I've change my rhs mount twice without removing the turbo of bending everything. I forgot to install the heat shield the first time and was able to install it and the lock washer that retains it.

I use a long and short series snapon Flex head ratchet, with a 50 and 75mm wobble extension, it also helps to have a normal 6pt socket and a uni-socket.

You won't do it with a 1/2" racthet and sockets.

sure, if its that easy, why did the mechanic only replace the left side mount, what you descibed is what needs to be done for left hand side mount, call ford and ask them for your self, every mechanic I've asked said turbo off, ford said turbo off, took it to my mates shop lifted the car to see for my self = turbo off... are you in Sydney? if so I will pay you to do my one. (I didnt quote this time, lol)

sorry I take that back, just spoke to my bro and he says ford and my mate are mental and so am I.... hahahahahahaha flex head will do the job all be it very difficult and slow... cheers for the advice this makes it much easier.