Brembo 6spot Conversion Tgt

cobramad

• Member For: 19y 2m 6d

Hi all,

Just purchased a new 6 Spot Brembo front caliper and 355mm rotor package and Im soon going to fit it to the front of my TG Turbo. Main problem will be getting hub-centric spacers to push the factory wheels out a little to clear the deeper calipers. I have measured up an F6X and have found that the differences in clearance are simply due to their wheels having more space behind the spokes (hence those daggy yet effective wheels).

I need at least 75mm from the face of the rotor to the outer edge of the caliper, with the existing brake caliper needing only 55mm. On the F6X there is almost 90mm from the rotor face to the inside edge of wheel, way more than enough. I reckon that 20mm spacer will work so Im getting a sample made up and going to give it a go..Here goes nothing!!

PS The factory brakes with good pads are OK, just give up after a few big stops. Lets hope the upgrade will give at least as much improvement as it does on xr's and the like..

Mal K

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 5d

You'll have to cut down the studs to stop them protruding through the spacers, plus the rear offset may look alot different and effect the handling, unless you match up the reas too... plus there's the legality issues which I'm sure your aware of.

Got all the bits, just getting the spacers organised, yes I am aware of these mods putting me overtrack but am willing to try it out first. Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated

• Team Octane
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 25d

I've talked to several people about the use of spacers and all have said the same thing - don't do it.

There are several implications that can arise, you transfer a lot of extra load out on the studs and in severe conditions that can cause them to break. I remember reading on this forum how someone in a WRX (I think it was) flew around a corner and the studs snapped, tyre ended up hitting a child waiting for a bus.

Also insurance will not cover you in case of an accident with them at fault. I'm sure a lot of people here have done the same without an issue but I really don't think people should put themselves and others on the road at risk due to this.

Just my 2 cents and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

notol

Hi guys,

Yes, I completely understand the implications of what Im doing, I have used spacers in road and race/ rally applications many times over the years and I reckon if you do your homework and undertake the process with due diligence and the requisite engineering, you will have no problems. I have sourced competition lengthened wheel studs and have had made hub-centric 15mm spacers, meaning the spacers themselves locate on the existing hub centres and the spacer itself has a centre that the wheel locates on, so the wheel isnt hanging off the studs but is supported by the centre and fastened by the wheel studs and nuts. There is no way I would attempt this solution to a clearance issue any other way. I could do what some people do and buy cheap-ass Malaysian/Taiwanese/Chinese wheels which are total crap and do explode when punished BUT clear the Brembo calipers, but have chosen to stick to the factory wheels, which by the way meet durability and reliability testing way beyond what alot of the cheaper aftermarket wheels do. There are minimum requirements to pass and the factory products exceed these completely. No half measures here, just sound engineering. Feel free to comment, Im always open to new ideas and thinking outside the square. :blink:

• 5 months later...

After much stuffing around and to-ing and fro-ing, I have just purchased a brand new set of F6X wheels off ebay. This option simply wasnt available months ago and Ive at least got the correct load-rated wheels and can move all the stud and spacer issues aside. Granted, they are certainly not the sexiest wheels, but you cant really argue for $800 clams. Just have to get a set of aftermarket pads that wont cane my new rotors and then refit the 6spot Brembos and rotors. What I have tried is getting the rotors cryogenically treated to increase service life. A rece car engineer I know has had all his customer disc rotors treated and this has extended the life up to seven times.. I figured it was worth $140 to find out. This treatment works equally as well for gearbox components etc, in fact, most things that we hammer the crap out of and then wonder why they break!! This treatment doesnt in any way affect the braking performance of the componentry.... Lets see for outselves..

Mal K :beerchug:

• 1 month later...

Hey Gassa,

Thanks for the heads-up, I managed to get a set of four off Ebay for $800, but its a bit hard to do the conversion at the moment, am stuck in the Timor Sea on a rig, hopefully getting cyclone evac-ed off tomorrow.. Heres hopin mate,

Mal K