Holed Piston?

GKTaylor

• Member For: 16y 1m
Think we should make this a sticky. Perfect example why your car should be dyno tuned

Are you suggesting the Cappa II tune is not suitable, perhaps people should be more wary of Cappa Tuning boxes on standard engines running the tunes that come with them, as the modifications to to this vehicle do not promote any change over the factory parts.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 2m 30d

Do I smell a generic tune disaster??

When you get it rebuilt mate, make sure you get it tuned properly or you'll probably be looking at doing it all again in no time.

• Member For: 15y 9m
Yes full system, unless there's internal differences in the mufflers and CAT which I doubt as the numbers on them both are the same, they are identical to the standard pipe I took off, every dimension is identical bar the fancy exhaust tip and the heat wrap on the pipe, my original had no heat wrap, was swapped purely for the fancy tip and my pipe had the the rear mounts bent, and it was free.

The bigger fuel pump was put in as the original died and the originals were ridiculously priced.

Neither of these additions should require a custom tune, as they pose no potential gain anywhere over the standard parts, the fuel pump could in future contribute to gains if larger injectors and higher boost is required, which would involve a tune, air/fuel remains the same as the fuel pump is regulated.

The tune on the Cappa II unit I have is the default 98 Octane tune based on a standard engine configuration and a filter, plenty of people run this configuration, wether they spend shy of 1 1/2 hours tearing around a track with this tune and surviving, I wouldnt know.

Supplier info for the springs would be helpful.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the truth of the matter is any small minor change you may think your making can lead to your car, leaning out and/or overboosting causing death to your engine and high engine wear. I would do any mods you may be thinking of doing now and get the car tuned, any decent tuner can explain to you this in detail.

Generic tunes dont cut it either, spend the money to save your engine in the future.

Do I smell a generic tune disaster??

When you get it rebuilt mate, make sure you get it tuned properly or you'll probably be looking at doing it all again in no time.

I shall take that advice!

• Member For: 15y 9m
Are you suggesting the Cappa II tune is not suitable, perhaps people should be more wary of Cappa Tuning boxes on standard engines running the tunes that come with them, as the modifications to to this vehicle do not promote any change over the factory parts.

I dont think he is dissing the tune, but out of the box tunes are never perfect and it depends on the condition of the engine and car at the time, who knows even if the spark plugs were regapped to suit. A dyno tune isnt just to make sure the tune is suitable its to fault test the engine to see if anything needs to be repaired as not all our t's are in perfect condition prior to putting the capa flash on them.

My 2 cents away

Generic tunes dont cut it either, spend the money to save your engine in the future.

Sounds like these generic tunes have a lot to answer for, a tune will be in order, Its gonna be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

I dont think he is dissing the tune, but out of the box tunes are never perfect and it depends on the condition of the engine and car at the time, who knows even if the spark plugs were regapped to suit. A dyno tune isnt just to make sure the tune is suitable its to fault test the engine to see if anything needs to be repaired as not all our t's are in perfect condition prior to putting the capa flash on them.

My 2 cents away

I see your point. The plug gap was marginally narrowed, as was indicated on many sites with much debate, the car has seen many track days since these mods which means ive been lucky, as its will see many more, I will throw a few more dollars at a tune this time.

Cheers