Holed Piston?

GKTaylor

• Member For: 16y 1m 1d

Giving my 03 XR6T a good thrash in the weekend and it has dropped a cylinder, symptoms are a melted sparkplug, pressurised crankcase, dipstick was half out, oily smoke coming out breather, smoking from exhaust once warm, replaced plug ha ha, no chang still running on 5 surprise surprise, I suspect a holed piston and who knows what else, scored bore, perhaps molten sparkplug infused into head etc.

Question, what is the correct name and does it have a measurement for the tool that removes the cylinder head bolts, they look like a star of sorts, and are these sacrificial (use once) bolts of are they reusable.

Can anyone also point me in the direction of heavy duty valve springs (NZ or AU), may as well do them while its all it bits.

Running Cappa II, FPV Exhaust system, K&N, Walbro Pump, never seen a dyno.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 24d
never seen a dyno.

And there you have it... All the newbie's should pay attention to this.

Valve spring options are Nizpro, Atomic and I think Crow do some.

The bolts you're talking about sound like the rocker cover bolts if they're a Torx head. I would replace the head bolts just to be sure.

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 14d

Think we should make this a sticky. Perfect example why your car should be dyno tuned

• Member For: 16y 1m 1d
so you're running a full exhaust and a bigger fuel pump but its not custom tuned to suit?

Yes full system, unless there's internal differences in the mufflers and CAT which I doubt as the numbers on them both are the same, they are identical to the standard pipe I took off, every dimension is identical bar the fancy exhaust tip and the heat wrap on the pipe, my original had no heat wrap, was swapped purely for the fancy tip and my pipe had the the rear mounts bent, and it was free.

The bigger fuel pump was put in as the original died and the originals were ridiculously priced.

Neither of these additions should require a custom tune, as they pose no potential gain anywhere over the standard parts, the fuel pump could in future contribute to gains if larger injectors and higher boost is required, which would involve a tune, air/fuel remains the same as the fuel pump is regulated.

The tune on the Cappa II unit I have is the default 98 Octane tune based on a standard engine configuration and a filter, plenty of people run this configuration, wether they spend shy of 1 1/2 hours tearing around a track with this tune and surviving, I wouldnt know.

Supplier info for the springs would be helpful.