Policemans Thoughts On Fg Xr6t

Ego T

• Just a large member member
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

15th august private track day at wsid....racing my brother in his ss ute....should get about 40 passes...been thinking about swaping cars for a couple of passes....

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 29d

But you wont really be comparing them properly as one's a Ute and the other a sedan. Be interesting so see the pros and cons of each though

• Member For: 21y 4m 4d

I have a friend that is a highway patrol officer and he's a Expensive Daewoo man through and through but reckons they're horses for coarses.He says the SS's are relatively slow with thier take off from a standing start compared to the Turbo but once they're wound up pull about the same.In the wet for standing start takeoffs he reckons the T suffers from lack of traction due to the low RPM torque and traction control kicking in.But in the dry its a completely different story.The T floggs the SS. High speed stability has always been the SS's strong point and still is.The FG suffers from the same high speed floatyness of its predecessors but in the right conditions gets there a lot faster.As for the stability control well DSC/ESP is for colision avoidance, as is ABS, and in most instances if the vehicle is going sideways, rather than just swerving, no ammount of electronic control is going to help.

• Red F6310
  • Member For: 19y 1m 24d
  • Location: A small country town on the Murray River South Australia
I have tracked the FG too - have you tried it in the wet? Like I said - you may as well have DSC off as it struggles to catch the car in the wet.

Anyway, you guys are not really open minded here. I have owned both cars and know the pros and cons of both. The FG is the better car - but not in all respects. Stability control is definately one area where the VE is far more sorted.

YES I have track driven them both in the wet. AS I said before ive driven them both on track and on the road in both cold/wet and hot/dry conditions and all different sorts of conditons in between, I will also repeat what I said before ESP/DSC can not make up for a crap or "hotshot" driver. Stability control is there to assist not take over complete control. You will find that the performance models will have the stability control "dulled" a bit to allow a more sportier drive compared to there povo pack lower grade models.

Dont forget tyres also play a big part in wet weather grip/traction etc and that's where I find the dunlops (sports maxx) fitted to the FG's are crap (plus the performance models are under tyred on the rear)

Anyone driving like a idiot on the road in the wet is a dickhead anyway in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 2m 17d
that's only because the Turbos hit max torque much lower in the rev range than the SS. I reckon the stock VE ss's that I have driven have felt like lazy slugs.

Before I bought my FG I did seriously spend many hours driving VE ss's in both manual and auto form and V8 Calais V's but in the end it was the thump in the back from the "rush" of the FG turbos (especially when backed by the ZF auto) that won me over the most.

As for the stability control, I find the FG's more "progressive" and able to let the driver have some fun compared to the VE's more abrupt and anti fun ESP. Ive managed to be able to push both cars around Mallala here in SA and reckon the FG's is just that bit nicer when switched on BUT when switched off the Late model camira seemed to hang its ass out nicely and with confidence just as good as the fords..

Couldn't agree anymore with everything said, "Lazy slugs" is spot on and ZF box owns!

oh and when that turbo starts to spool up its like a full acoustra symphony under the hood, and would take the sound of that spooling up over the lazy slug(lol) sound, the SS V8 sounds great respectively but aint like that damn turbo on boost IMO.

• Member For: 19y 11m 19d
that's only because the Turbos hit max torque much lower in the rev range than the SS. I reckon the stock VE ss's that I have driven have felt like lazy slugs.

Before I bought my FG I did seriously spend many hours driving VE ss's in both manual and auto form and V8 Calais V's but in the end it was the thump in the back from the "rush" of the FG turbos (especially when backed by the ZF auto) that won me over the most.

As for the stability control, I find the FG's more "progressive" and able to let the driver have some fun compared to the VE's more abrupt and anti fun ESP. Ive managed to be able to push both cars around Mallala here in SA and reckon the FG's is just that bit nicer when switched on BUT when switched off the Late model camira seemed to hang its ass out nicely and with confidence just as good as the fords..

Agreed Smackers, the in laws just purchased a new VESS...took it for a good drive and was not that impressed. I mean compared to my BA it feels newer etc but very lazy and the stupid auto was horrible. I was trying to overtake a couple of cars and had to pull back in because it couldn't decide what gear it wanted. Got back into the Falcon and felt right at home!

• Member For: 19y 11m 19d

To be honest I prefer to Fords more rugged safety systems. The Expensive Daewoo in my opinion is too safe, good for most people, but I like how the Ford will kick out sideways and scare you BUT the system WILL correct the car back into place. When I test drove the FG Turbo it was wet and through a round about I planted it. The rear end went SNAP and scared the car salesman, but surely enough safety systems kicked in and said "enough fun" pulled the car back into line whilst keeping the throttle flat. The VE system I feel is too safe and will just keep the car inline constantly, takes the skill out of driving IMHO. Turn it off and you really feel the Expensive Daewoo weight move the car around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 2m 1d

I deal with alot of police through work, and there is mixed commentaries.

Alot are Expensive Daewoo guys and some are Ford guys. The Expensive Daewoo ones tend to go for the SS's. I did hear one report of one of each being lined up and tested out with the XR6T leaving the SS for dead up to about 250kmh.

Apart from that, some prefer the ride in either one, nearly a 50/50 each way bet there.

One comment is that the FG is a great car and is the better of the two, just the 'plasticy' feel to the interior with certain trims and the like coming off.

The state traffic have just got a buncg of new XR6Ts in different colours... and they look nice.

One brand new Expensive Daewoo ute did come in though, only a week old. Turned the car off, and the starter kicked in and kept trying to crank it over till smoke come out of it. We had to kill the battery to get it to stop. I think it was returned numerous times for electrical issues in the first month.