Policemans Thoughts On Fg Xr6t

Ego T

• Member For: 15y 4m 13d

Hi guys,

I was pumping fuel tonight and a highway patrol pulled up beside me. It was an fg xr6t... As I'm getting mine next week and I'm obviously obsessed with them at the moment, I asked this copper his thoughts on it...

He told me his dept has 4 ss commodores and 1 fg xr6t. According to him all the guys fight over the fg as (in his words) it is the best ride and kills the ss's for performance and driveability...

Not a bad recommendation coming from a bloke who is in a vehicle all day and alternates between the xr6t and the ss every other day. :spoton:

• Just a large member member
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

don't worry about they know how hard they go..........Was pulled over about a month ago..........he wanted to know everything about the car...he was one of the unlucky undercover cops who hadn't driven one yet....He said the boys back at the station say they are unbelievable to drive..

• Member For: 16y 4m 25d

I had the VE SS before getting the FG XR6 Turbo.

The turbo is definately has better performance when rolling - in gear performance is much better than the SS.

The only problem with the turbo is getting the power down. The SS is so much more effortless, especially in the wet. And when things do start to break away in the SS it is quite progressive.

The turbo can easily snap sideways in the wet as you guys with the FG will know. And that is with the stability control on. The stability control on the FG is not particularly good - well compared to the VE SS anyway.

Edited by rprodrive

• Red F6310
  • Member For: 19y 1m 24d
  • Location: A small country town on the Murray River South Australia

that's only because the Turbos hit max torque much lower in the rev range than the SS. I reckon the stock VE ss's that I have driven have felt like lazy slugs.

Before I bought my FG I did seriously spend many hours driving VE ss's in both manual and auto form and V8 Calais V's but in the end it was the thump in the back from the "rush" of the FG turbos (especially when backed by the ZF auto) that won me over the most.

As for the stability control, I find the FG's more "progressive" and able to let the driver have some fun compared to the VE's more abrupt and anti fun ESP. Ive managed to be able to push both cars around Mallala here in SA and reckon the FG's is just that bit nicer when switched on BUT when switched off the Late model camira seemed to hang its ass out nicely and with confidence just as good as the fords..

• Member For: 16y 4m 25d
As for the stability control, I find the FG's more "progressive" and able to let the driver have some fun compared to the VE's more abrupt and anti fun ESP. Ive managed to be able to push both cars around Mallala here in SA and reckon the FG's is just that bit nicer when switched on BUT when switched off the Late model camira seemed to hang its ass out nicely and with confidence just as good as the fords..

Err fun, yeah right. In the FG in the wet you can be 90 degrees sideways before the stability control will wake up. If that is a good thing - you must have a different idea of what stability control is for. It is useless in the FG.

• Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 24d

Back in my day we used to call DSC opposite lock & throttle control :blink:

• Red F6310
  • Member For: 19y 1m 24d
  • Location: A small country town on the Murray River South Australia
Err fun, yeah right. In the FG in the wet you can be 90 degrees sideways before the stability control will wake up. If that is a good thing - you must have a different idea of what stability control is for. It is useless in the FG.

Well my FG turbo and others that ive driven around the track have got nowhere near 90 degrees sideways before its cut in and besides ESP/DSC is not there to make up for crap drivers.

Go drive a base model FG (and VE) and you will find that the stability control cuts in much earlier than the "performance" models.

Ive done over 10yrs in R&D in the vehicle industry and have had the chance to drive/test many different makes (Holden, ford, toyota and the now defunct mitsubishi) in all sorts of road/weather conditions.

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 15d
He told me his dept has 4 ss commodores and 1 fg xr6t. According to him all the guys fight over the fg as (in his words) it is the best ride and kills the ss's for performance and driveability...

Not a bad recommendation coming from a bloke who is in a vehicle all day and alternates between the xr6t and the ss every other day. :blink:

The traditionalists still all prefer the SS, though based upon naievetivity. Though the FG is a very good car, there chosen preference remains the SS.

I had the VE SS before getting the FG XR6 Turbo.

The turbo is definately has better performance when rolling - in gear performance is much better than the SS. (Agreed. Especially at the bigger speeds)

The only problem with the turbo is getting the power down. The SS is so much more effortless, especially in the wet. And when things do start to break away in the SS it is quite progressive. (A much more linear delivery of power to the roadway)

*Brakes on the SS are pathetic.

*Very wide turning cirlce compared to FG which is much more nible and manoureable.

*Great stability at high speed. Far superior to FG.

*Gearbox ordinary and holds way too long. Takes a week to change gears soemtimes, though I think that's more attibuted to the electronics of it all.

*They both drink the same, regardles of cylindars.

*Could they make the SS A pillar any fatter???

I.B.