Need Advice On New Xr6t Ute

mac

• Member For: 15y 4m 20d

Hey guys, so I have managed to convince myself into buying a new Ute.

Now obviously its between the FG xr6t and the VE Bogan special

It will be used for weekend driving and work it will be carrying my building tools.

But I am having a hard time deciding between the 2 Utes, I think both are very nice.

One of the main things I'm not totally happy with about the FG's is the handling?

I keep reading everywhere that they can be quite dangerous in the wet? Now even if you drive careful/normally in the wet is this still an issue, I read about people overtaking someone at 100km and wheels spinnng the back jumping out etc? also accelerating out of corners?

What is it like in the dry?

I guess basically what I'm saying is there shouldn't be an issue if driven sensibly? because I'm just worried about mate/gf driving in it without being used to it etc.

Other info is I will be getting a auto.

Will be taking some test drives this weekend to find out for myself.

Guess I'm looking for some people who have had a lot of experience with the xr6t ute and what you think of the handling in the wet/dry etc any other general stuff I should know about would be greatly appreciated. also why should I get this over an ve Bogan special :spoton:

• Member For: 16y 4m 23d

I tried both when first released and tried the xr6T ute in the rain.. was absolutely mental .. that said it only had useless traction control.. they now have stability control and are meak and mild in the rain with it on .. and it comes on std unless you turn it off each time the ute is turned on so your covered unless your mate wants to be lowndes when outa sight.. I drive mine with a tray now and a V8 and its the safest of any of the v8 or 6cyl tonners I've had in the rain .. you can still out run cars off the lights in the rain so long as not using full noise and keep straight

the dunny door is a nice poser but aint a work ute.. what do you do with a crappy coil rear end the wheels point in something fierce with anything in it..

I like dunny doors too but can't see any point as a work ute hence my fg V8 tonner

utemad

• Member For: 17y 5m 14d

Well I did the same thing, looked at both, VE looks tougher, dash and trim especially the seats are nowhere near as good as the FG. Having just sold my BF ute after 3 years and stepping into the FG, stick shift again, handling in the wet or dry is just a matter of throttle control, confidence inspiring, done a 1000k and am still grinning, The only thing with the SS was it was 2000 grand cheaper, and still didnt sway me :censored:

well I'm convinced :)

now just he color and what extras to get

atm thinking silhouette and sports pack.

quick question, anyone know if the iphone is compatible yet? (was reading an old thread and it was not)

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 26d

I found the utes to be more predictable than the sedans because of the live rear axle...they may step out when pushed but you know exactly what you're up against.

Yes it would catch someone off-guard that isn't used to it and plants the go pedal in the wet, but the level of 'tameness' is totally dependant on the right foot.

...and don't buy a Expensive Daewoo or everyone will laugh at you. :blink:

• Member For: 15y 5m 4d

I was in the same situation not three weeks ago. I was weighing up an SS and the XR6T. And in the end, the XR was the go because of a number of factors, biggest of which being the spread of torque that the turbo serves up, the seamless ZF auto and the better interior. Even though the SS sounded good and went hard, the transmission just wasnt up to par compared to the falcon and as a ute which I intend to tow a trailer and load a tray up with, the IRS of the Expensive Daewoo just didnt stack up.

Those things said though, and I have to admit, the SS still looks horn, and has the sound, the whole sleeper jet thing the XR6T carries with it is very very big drawcard for me.

As for pricing, they were almost 5k apart in favour of the Expensive Daewoo including on roads when similarly specced.

One thing I strongly suggest, is that you shop around and look hard for the right car, as XR6T utes are fairly thin on the ground at the moment especially if you want an auto or any options such as the lux or sports packs, the one I managed to snap up was the only one available at the time that was an auto and was covered under the friends of ford pricing scheme, that wasnt pre sold, I am extremely lucky that it just happened to have the tech and lux packs!!

As for the unpredictability in wet or bad road conditions, I believe that it comes down to many factors, biggest of which is the driver behind the wheel, if you drive the thing carefully in poor conditions you will be just fine, whether live rear or IRS, poor judgement cant result in incidents.

Good Luck and happy hunting!

Well I priced one today and the best price I could get was

$47000 - this was with sports pack, a bulge hard cover and a 3% price increase.

The dealer said from the 1st july there is going to be a price increase he doesn't know exactly how much yet but allowed for 3%

What do you guys think? Price wise its right on my limit, actually its more than I want to spend.

There is just no auto turbo utes around he was saying. Ones between jan and may I think have a discount.

So ones that have to be made are more quite abit more around $3500 + the 3%? price rise

What do you guys think the situation will be like if I wait a few months, as im in no real hurry to buy.

Might as well throw out another question, when do you guys think the mk 2 FG will happen.

Edited by mac

• Member For: 15y 5m 18d

IMO the fg turbo is way better than an Bogan special . after driving mine for 3000 kms I drove a mates Bogan special and it felt slow in comparison. The latest price increase came in for cars built April onwards, so anything jan-mar should be 3% cheaper.

As for handling, you got to remember u have 550 nm under your right foot. So common sense should say take it easy in the wet. Any car with that power will be slippy I the wet. I tried out the ESP and it works so well. Can feel the car braking individual calipers and the abs working all by itself

Edited by schmick325

• Member For: 15y 6m 6d

When I took both cars for a test drive, I found the drive train on the xr6t auto was far superior than the Bogan special auto but the Bogan special had a little more grip in the rear (due to the IRS and the way the v8 delivers it power) but the electronic ESP and TC make both cars safe and esay to drive in the dry/wet (as long as you do not turn them off then both cars are a hand full).

For work I think the xr6t is better. It still has the strong leaf spring setup.

I ending up buying a 2nd hand BF series 2 xr6t ute because I wish you could turn off just esp or tc not both (when will the manufacture wake up) esp comes on to early when driving on dirt road but I would never turn of tc on a ute.

Also have a look at the xr8 ute.