What Tyres Would You Use On A 400rwkw Car?

Howsee

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 14d

Basically my new XR6T will be needing some new rear rubber soon. The car is currently running 18x8.5 rims all around with 265 front and back. The car is drived with 365rwkw daily and 430rwkw race tunes, and I really need something that can cope with that sort of power but not blow the budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also with an 8.5 rim what is the widest rubber you can fit on them? 275 perhaps???

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Brisbane also.

Cheers

Howsee

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 13d

To be honest, now that I run 370+ on the street I don't spend much money on tyres anymore! Not the rears anyway....

Recently I picked up a set of Bridgestone RE050A's that had about 80% tread on them - they struggle with 3rd gear when warm - I only paid $75 each from the tyre place across the road so I'm not complaining! These retail at $400 from what I've been told - don't quote me though.

Before that I picked up a set of Khumo V70A's that are semi slicks for a good price here on the forum. They held great at 340rwkw, but with 370 they couldn't hold second gear. I'm still using these on the front as I got 6 - gives plenty of front end grip for both cornering and braking and they are fine in the wet.

Basically what I am saying is the with the sort of power and torque these cars make it doesn't matter what rubber you put on there, it isn't going to hold in the lower gears under full throttle. You can drive around on a "cheaper" tyre with only light throttle 90% of the time and you will save plenty of money. I don't generally recommend skimping on tyres, however if you can pick up some bargains, why not save the money?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 9d

If your gonna be good in the wet try a set of federal 595rs-r. Priced them up the other day at $380 a corner. Was going to get another set for the T but becasue of the ridicleous amount of rain we get ive had to go for more of a allround tyre.

Once you get some heat in them they do a pretty good job of getting power down. There are probably better dry condition tyres out there but not for that price. When I had about 380kw it would hook up (with heat in them) in high second & after that just abit of a squirm goin through the gears. For some reason now I end up crab walking down the road & when it does get traction at the top of 4th it shunts across the road. When traction bites back. lol.

Have gotten abit over 10000 hard klm out of them. No skids but some viscious launches.

• Member For: 16y 3m 22d

These maybe worth a shot

toyo_drag_tires.jpg

I'll have to agree with P@ here, anything with power in the vicinity of 400rwkw will just toast make you put a great deal of mileage on your rear's which will need frequent replacing...

Even an MT E/T 'Street' would have issues in a straight line when not on a sticky drag strip...

:w00t2:

• Donating Members

The car will basically never be driven with the 400+rwkw tune, I really need something that'll hold up well at 360rwkw. I'm always cautious in the wet so I'd be looking at mainly dry performance. Thanks for the info though

• Built F6 & VE SS-V
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 27d

Try Toyo Proxes T1Rs mate. They will hold that power just fine, or if you have the $$ try the new Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 3m 25d
Basically my new XR6T will be needing some new rear rubber soon. The car is currently running 18x8.5 rims all around with 265 front and back. The car is drived with 365rwkw daily and 430rwkw race tunes, and I really need something that can cope with that sort of power but not blow the budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also with an 8.5 rim what is the widest rubber you can fit on them? 275 perhaps???

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Brisbane also.

Cheers

Howsee

I've seen some 18" 255's Falken Azenis RT615 for $350ea on ebay recently. I highly recommend the Azenis range. I was blown away when I first tried the older RT215's....so much grip when warm. These 255's will hook up better than just about any other 265 street legal tyre in my opinion.

• Member For: 18y 1m 19d
I've seen some 18" 255's Falken Azenis RT615 for $350ea on ebay recently. I highly recommend the Azenis range. I was blown away when I first tried the older RT215's....so much grip when warm. These 255's will hook up better than just about any other 265 street legal tyre in my opinion.

I use Falken too.

I have seen you drive in the wet too Howsie!!! You need them.

Cheers Paul

• Donating Members

Could someone also classify how wide a tyre a could fit on the 8.5 inch rim? it currently has 265's on it but could I go to 275's or is there really no point with them?