Ford Turbo 6 Status

turbotom

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 9d

Just need a confirmation from those that might know the inside goss.....

There was talk about dropping production of the Ausie built inline turbo 6 for a V6 from the US.

Has there been any official anouncements regarding this?

Just seems ridiculous to me, that at last we have a winning combination and prime example of excellent Ausie engineering (as in the I6 turbo),

and the bean counters come in and toss it all away and thrust us with an untried imported donk that costs us even more jobs in Oz.

Just doesn't make sense.

This Ausie built turbo I6 motor is the sole reason I made the switch back to Ford after a long association with other marques.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 30d

:innocent:

Now that Ford US is going broke they are re-engineering the I6 to meet euro compliance rather then use the imported V6.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 9d

That's good to hear... a sensible path to take.

Hope that means the assemblers at Geelong are happy campers....

I'm considering placing an order for a G6ET, but wouldn't be real happy if the current feel at the plant is one of forlorn desperation and anguish....

That usually results in a lack of commitment to QC on the production line. :innocent:

• Member For: 15y 5m 27d

re-read your info lads... the I6 is dead - V6 is coming!

also FYO: Ford is the only major manufacturer NOT going broke becasue they were able to refinance before the world turned to sh1t.

The reason is emissions boys pure and simple, same reason why the GTR has gone V6.

opens up possibilities for twin turbo's so not going to be the end ofthe world but personally I would get in an buy an FG with the I6 while you can.. ohh wait - I just did!!!

cheers, beers.

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 22d

Looking a little more broadly (and further into the future) I'm sure I read recently that by 2020 manufacturers in the US have to meet some ridiculous target of 6.7l/km for fuel economy; in the longer term this surely spells the end of either engine? Or at least, in a large RWD car

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 30d

Direct injection and displacement on demand could see that figure in the turbo I6....with a sh*tload of development money thrown at it :puke:

re-read your info lads... the I6 is dead - V6 is coming!

According to who?

The V6 plans have been shelved for a couple of years at least, was supposed to happen in 2009/2010 originally. Unless there's something new that only you know about? :stirthepot:

• Member For: 15y 8m 10d

I read an article that said the I6 was safe till at least 2013/14. Four years is plenty of time to save 50 grand.

Fark, can't find that article anymore.