Rear Bumper Spray In Melbourne

Karl S

• Member For: 15y 5m 27d

Had a little damage on the rear bumper (a dent cluster and some scrapping) and side mirror of my XR6T when I bought it and now looking at getting a repair and respray. Colour is Envy.

Got a quote for $500 for the bumper and mirror completely repaired and resprayed, which I though was pretty good. ($650 was another)

Just wondering do these repair places usually get the colour right, factory unnoticable standard, and is it worth it? I do want to get it repaired, and prepared to pay $500, but I want a good result at the end of it!

Quote is from "Yarra Collision Repair Centre" in Abbotsford. Anyone ever dealt with them, or know of a better or cheaper place? Wouldn't want to spend much more than $500.

Thanks

Karl

• 1 month later...

Turned out alright, good finish except it's noticeably darker than the rest of the car where it joins, I didn't notice when I picked it up and it's really annoying me, looks terrible. It's too minor to bring it back but I don''t think I can live with it eithere. Can you order bumpers from ford in the exact colour? I don't want to risk a re spray. what's the cost?

• Member For: 16y 8m 11d

It's a shame your panel shop didn't get it quite right.

I seriously doubt Ford would do any better.

My rear bumper and boot lid were resprayed after being rear ended and the colour match on my bumper (in Silk) is waaaay better than before.

Two panelies I took it to for quotes reckoned that Ford are legendary for bumper/plastic paint mismatch.

I need someone to smash my front bumper and drivers door to fix the other dodgy factory paint.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 27d

Yeah I'd take it back, usually a panel shop will get it looking better than it comes from the factory.

Ford paint all the add-ons separately where as a panel shop should be matching/blending with the surrounding panels so that it’s near perfect. It’ll never be exact but it shouldn’t be that noticeable it’s pissing you off.

• Member For: 15y 5m 21d

Factory finish plastics on most cars are always different to the body colour.

Have a look at any new car and you see a colour variation.

The plastics are painted separately to the body as they can't handle the baking temperature used in the factory.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice.

I took it back and they resprayed it.

Looks mostly good but a strange thing is when you look down from next to the car it appears to be pale and washed out and the same in direct sunlight but if anything looks darker when looking straight at it from 2m away or in low light conditions. My front bumper doesn't do this so a little perplexed and can't help but keep noticing it.

I told them about it and they say it's just the plastic drying differently or something and they won't do it again, but the spoiler and front bumper don't do it.

Is there something wrong with the paint they used or something to get the changing colour with angels and light? I just don't think it should vary so much.

I'll take to to someother panel beaters and see what they think, might have to bite the bullet and just pay about $500. Little annoying though and I don't want to just end up with something similar!

Karl