Best 2k To Spend On A Mk1 Xr, 4 Sp Auto

tonyv

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 17y 4m 6d

If you buying a car in that price bracket:

Before you go chasing power, fit an Aux trans cooler and bypass the factory one. Change the engine oil/filter and turbo oil filter screen, change the diff oil, replace the fuel filter, change the trans/converter fluid/filter and flush the cooling system and change the coolant, then clean the TB and service the boost solenoid, unless all of the above have just been done prior to purchasing and you have proof of this.

You will hopefully then have a mechanically maintained vehicle to go chasing power with. So you may have some funds left over for a generic 10psi tune CAPA box or whatever.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• TEAM BA
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 10m 13d

what exactly is wrong with cars in the 16k price bracket that has everybody spooked?

Other then most of them being BA autos (as if you would want a chicks car) and having no or very little options. The majority of them look like they have had a pretty easy life, and it isnt rare to find one with under 100K

These cars sink like a dirty turd after a saturday night, go to car sales and look up turbos in the $15k-$20k bracet and there are over 125 cars for sale, if you cant pick up a GOOD one for about 16K (by good I mean low <100K's + premium sound and clean body) then I would be slightly amazed.

• Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 10d
ps. There's no such thing as a MkI. :sleepystuff:

True but for ease of model definition nowdays its the easiest thing to call them.

Edited by mercuryturbo

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 22d

I bought my 04 BA XR6T with just under 100 clicks on it with 19" XHP shorelines on it despoilered and debadged with the F6 Snorkel, Premium sound and leather seats for 17,500.

Never looked back haven't had any problems with the 4sp yet :).

Mods still to come though.

I think 16 is very do-able.

• Member For: 16y 18d

Mate,

I spent 2k on custom tune with cappa box - f6 snorkel and siemens 60lb injectors. Good for around 250 - 270rwks. That should keep the 4speed auto in reasonable conition unless you hammer it all the time.

Goodluck with the mods.

• Banned
  • Member For: 16y 4m 2d

Tune, Flash box, F6 snorkel, centre muffler removal & injectors can be had for $2k mate. Shop around :thumbsup:

If you're saying you have a total budget of $16k then just spend the lot on the car & save for later mods.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 29d

I'd get it tuned + flash box, can be done under $1000 injectors $400 ish fitting $100 ish, so around $500 left maybe a wog cooler, pop up around the $300 ish bracket, and get the center muff removed or fuel pump.. Should be a safe 250rwkw's if not more.. I'd leave the exhaust standard as your limiting factor to prolong the auto and you said urself you'd be happy around 250rwkw's anyway