My Xr6t Starting To Sound Like A Taxi

el2bfturbo

• Member For: 15y 11m

Hi all,

My BF II XR6T makes this strange "putt putt" noise at mid range (2000-3000rpm) which seems to disappear when the turbo is at full song. It seems worst when the car is doing about 60km and I gently accelerate in which case I get the noise and it feels a bit soft. It is completely stock except a Phoon 2nd CAI and KnN filter. Also it doesn't make the noise at all when I rev it in neutral even between the 2-3k rpm. Sorry if I left anything important out which might help.

I have it booked in for a visit in a few days however since it's still under warranty I wanted to make sure they checked things it could be rather then flushing the oil and telling me it's all good. It sounds like exhaust gases leaking but I wouldn't have the nouse to know for sure.

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 26d

Start checking your turbo and exhaust manifold bolts, I would put money on it that they have come loose.

Sorry to bump my thread except I have a further likely related question. Today I had a look at the piping that run's from the crossover to the turbo and where it is clamped to the turbo it had ate through the rubber. The piping didn't look like it was seated correctly so I resat it and tightened it all back up. This seems a little to band aid-y for my liking and wondering what if there would be a better option like a silicon joiner or something? that I could pick up to make sure it's all sealing nicely.