Another Whine Question

lil grey bf

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 8m 4d

I've done a few full installs in BA and BF models. I've never come across any ground loop noise or alternator whine except for when using the auxilary input booster kit. Perhaps I've just stricked it lucky.

However try the following before install any noise or ground loop filters. Filters only reduce the noise level, they won't eliminate it.

Double check your amplifier ground, try a different location. If you can please take a photo so I have an idea of your grounding location.

Check the braided grounding cable from the engine to the chassis. Clean the ends and make sure there is no surface corrosion degrading the connection. This includes the bolt.

Disconnect your high level input from the amplifier, but leave everything else as it is. See if the whine is still present or if its gone.

If you've mounted your amplifier directly to the chassis with screws, try insulating it between compression foam, rubber or MDF. You can even use nylon washers in between the screws.

• Member For: 16y 9m 29d

Thanks for your help P4N1C. This morning I ran a power cable outside the car to the amp, no difference. I then reconnected the power that I put in the car and rant the new power cable from ground of the amp to the negative on the battery, no difference. I then used a small part of the new power cable as a ground under the bracket of the backseat and sanded a shiny metal surface for contact, no difference. I also connected up this noise filter ( which I will return) no difference. I finally pulled the hi level speaker inputs out and while the car was on and yest the noise is gone that way. The amp is mounted to mdf and the mdf is mounted to the opposite side of the factory amp in the boot. So at this stage im guessing the noise is originating between the factory icc and the amp with the amp not being responsible for the noise. My final option is contacting ASL as even with the engine off, the sound quality im getting is fairly ordinary. The original factory setup sounded a little better. Thanks for your suggestions

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 17d

lil grey bf,

Sorry for your pain but thanks as it will save me in the long run using the standard HU. I will be buying an aftermarket HU now.

I believe some cars are just duds like some engines dont make as much power as others maybe on the day our cars were built someone got lazy and did a bad job somewhere amongst it!

Its all experience bjc. As annoying as this is, Im enjoying finding things out with some honest help of others. Ill keep the details coming as to what I do next. ASL already have an email in their inbox, whether they can do anything is another matter. Either way, as you say, everyones experiences on here are what others can use as a guide for themselves.

• Member For: 16y 8m 4d

Alternatively, you can use an external high to low level converter (I've used Scosche many times with great results), yes the one on your amplifier will do the same job, but I can almost gaurentee - if wired correctly - you will be able to elimate your line noise. The RCA modification for the ICC should be able to sort you out, but this will work out slightly more expensive.

I'd say the noise may be due to poor grounding on ICC to start with. No doubt about it, the ICC ground would be bound together with the rest of the cars electricals and be much longer then it necessarily needs to be. A good earth should connect directly to the chassis as close as possible.

For more information and some things to try: http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html

Hope you get it sorted out!

thanks P4N1C, yeah the only thing I havent tried is connecting the power and the ground to a separate batterry but im pretty sure as you say its coming from the factory HU. I understand that a having rca's installed is slightly more expensive but I intend on keeping this car for a while plus having a pre -amped pre crossovered signal going to the amp might also give me a better sounding signal. Not that I know what a line signal converter would do to the signal but atleast if things dont work well with getting rca's then I know theres not much else to be done except return to standard or a seperate HU.

I appreciate everyones help so far and Hope others can learn as well

Ok guys, I got down to ASL this morning and got them to put the RCA's in. The whine is gone and it sounds much much better. So far so good. I dont know what line level converters sound like but if anyone is considering doing an audio upgrade using the factory HU I'd reccomend getting the same as what I did. Now I just have to learn how to properly tune it to sound right.

Hope this steers some people in the right path.