xrobx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 29d

I can already tell, you and speedbumps are gonna be best mates in no time dude...

Good work, looks pretty cool even if inpractical!

• Member For: 19y 9m 5d

Congratulations.

The XR6 is a fine car. We kind of know that here, you know. :outahere:

So as for modifications, here goes...

Use high quality 98 octane fuel.

Buy the best general purpose-sport road tires available, not the best tires you can afford... wait for it...

Sell the 20" rims, ideally fit some lightweight 17" factory sized rims, if not go back to stock factory 17" rims. Lightweights will pull some 60kg dead weight out of the car in comparison to the 20" rims.

Now without 20" rims you can afford good 17" tyres.

The reduction of mass and wheel radius in moving from 20" rims to 17" lightweights will translate to an effective mass reduction exceeding 120kg, probably nearer 150kg.

Now you are effectively about 8% lighter - you are 8% faster in a straight line... at full throttle, part throttle, hot, cold, high altitude, sea level, good fuel, crap fuel... you are 8% faster always...

So you don't need to mod your engine.... the on road the improvement in your car's performance is actually way more than 8%, because your suspension is lighter and can keep the wheels in contact with the road... and, your brakes are no longer' attempting to disperse an additional 8% of kinetic energy stored in the 20" flywheels.

So since you don't need to mod your engine anymore, (you are 8% faster) you can ideally fit the PBR brake upgrade that FPV used in the BA series. Better brakes are always better... If you don't go for the PBR upgrade at the very least fit DBA 4000 discs (front only) and a high performance pad, say Ferodo Formula (also known as Ferodo TS 2000).

Now dump your factory shocks, they are worn out, fit Bilstein shocks, the yellow and blue units. You do not need sway bars, you do not need 6 way shock adjustments, rheology control units etc You will not believe the difference that a high quality shock will make to the car.

Now that you have dumped the shocks, undump the car. You need compliance in the suspension, compliance is good because compliance is grip. Furthermore the shocks need suspension travel to do their stuff.

That's kind of it....back to normal spec, but swapping

the low quality rubber for the best rubber

the low quality shocks for the best shocks

the ultra heavy flywheel 20" lead lined rims (or lower quality 14kg factory alloys) for lightweight high quality 17"'s or stock wheels

the low quality factory discs and pads for high quality discs and pads.

It is now faster in straight line and in the real world. It is smoother, quieter, more refined. It stops better. It responds to control inputs with more temporal and physical fidelity. It uses less fuel (well it can), grips better in the wet and dry.

What about cams you say?

By all means, join Cams.

Enjoy your car.

Regards,

aa

• Member For: 17y

Looks great mate,

Gee I thought mine was getting low...look at yours, man I feel for you at that height...I'm struggling with 20's on 20 profiles and I'm sitting just on the guards!

Still, looks real FAT!