Fg Xr6t Possible Issue

geobar

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 2d

Hi Guys,

I have been away and just got back, after owning the car now for about 2 weeks, she only has 200 or so kms on her. I followed a run in procedure I found on here somewhere for the first 100kms, and since then I drive normally with giving it a few stabs from time to time, but 1 thing that I have really started to notice is that when giving it stabs, as the box changes gears (ZF6 Auto) the car farts as if its shutting down cylinders before each gear change, pretty much sounds like a manual on launch control. Has any one else noticed this? I also went into manual mode, and was driving a little harder changing at about 4500rpms and it was doing the same thing?!?! Bizarre I thought, do ford put in some run in type tune in the ecu which they then re flash at the first service ?

Another question, I have noticed this turbo really howls, (I have owned many turbo cars and know what turbo spool sounds like) though in this car the turbo howls more than produce a higher pitched spooling noise, I don't recall the car I took for a test drive howling like this one, do you guys also notice a howl or more a turbo higher spool sound, could just be this new intake setup? So hard to explain but hope it makes sense :)

Other than that the car is going great and so far everything I read about them is true, handling has improved allot and the brakes are a little under capacity ( but then again they are still bedding in), all my gadgets are working, ie ipod control, bluetooth, NAV - still trying to figure this system out as it has allot more features than the one in the BF.

Thanks

George

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 24d

George , best be taking it back to dealer for a check up as something is wrong. Thing I noted when I first drove my FG was how quiet it is and how smooth the ZF box is and I dont think there is a run in tune either mate. For a new car it shouldn't be spluttering and although you hear the turbo spooling up it's fairly quiet.

Cheers

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 21d

The FGs have a fuel cut in-between gear changes when under 75% throttle and up. It helps keep the turbo spooled harder. I think the whistle is much louder in the FGs compared to the BA/F

Sounds completely normal to me George

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 3d

Nah it's all normal mate.

The sound you're hearing on gear changes is a spark-cut, sounds like it's missing for a nanosecond. They have done that rather than closing the throttle on gear changes.

And there is a substantial increase in induction/spooling noises, especially when under load. Just wind the window down and grin like a fool everytime you hear it. :censored:

edit...what he said, sort-of, except for the fuel cut BS :rolleyes:

Edited by tab

• Donating Members
The FGs have a fuel cut in-between gear changes when under 75% throttle and up. It helps keep the turbo spooled harder. I think the whistle is much louder in the FGs compared to the BA/F

Sounds completely normal to me George

Hey mate,

This makes sense, as I havn't hit 100% throttle yet :) interesting feature.... is there anything they havn't thought of..lol

that's the thing, its not so much a whistle, its more like howling..lol seems to have boost though :).... actually now that I think of it the noise its making sounds more like a supercharger rather than turbo charger... hmmm time to look under the bonnet...lol

George

Edited by geobar

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 4m 9d

100kms isn't enought to run it in mate.

You need to go hard for 1000kms at least.

No more than 4000rpm for the first 500kms and then an extra 500rpm for every 100kms after that.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 25d

Hey George its all good. I went through exactly the same thing, so much so that I went back to 2 other Ford dealerships and took their Turbos for a drive to make sure and they made exactly the same box sounds and turbo noises. What made it worse with me was that I found a written communicay ,in the pocket behind the drivers seat , between an engineer and a tester regarding a noisy turbo which carried on for 5 days and 40 kays of travelling.

One thing though when I got my car tuned the turbo went a lot quieter, maybe because of the extra PSI ??

Edited by tpinto

• Member For: 15y 10m 8d

Mine is the same George !! I have owned sevweal BA turbos & they sound nothing like the FG..Much loader turbo whistle.. The burble on gear change under heavy acceleration sounds great I reckon !!.. How is your traction control working ??? I seem to get a lot of wheelspin with it on, the dash light flashes but still wheel spin. If I turned it of, I might be facing the other way :huh:

• Donating Members

Cool, it all sounds normal then :) yeah does sound good as long as its normal. As for traction control, I havnt really given her a hard time as yet, but it was raining the week I picked it up, and I can deffinatly confirm that they have eased up on the traction control and DSC, and she was spinning allot longer before any intevention!!

George