I'm Buying My First Xr6t...advice Please

hyprxr

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y 4m 30d

did you find out a bit of it's history yet mainly if it has been tuned and how and by who

these cars are not selling fast atm so look into it properly

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d

It will owe ya $15k odd but we also dont know what trade your giving him...

If your willing to splash out and have a reputable tuner / site sponsor go over it meticulously, inspect it and and provide you a report and it comes back all good...

And your happy with it - Then go for it... Its your call - we cant make the decision for ya!

Make sure you have a compression and leakdown test completed too just for safety sake.

• Caring Understanding Northern Territorian
  • Member For: 16y 2m 23d

When I was buying my car it was a BF MKII or nothing.

Has a lot of things better then the BA including better gearbox choices and ofcourse stronger internals, interior options, colours and better frontbar :P

• Member For: 15y 8m 7d

If your going to be happy with it mate and it checks out fine (stateroads.com.au I found are great) then go for it...or save a little longer and go for a bf. I had the plan of keeping my next car for 6years, so I decided to spend a little extra and get something newer with the improvements.

btw, my mate had to get a new engine installed in his xr8 because it developed a bottom end knock. That car wasn't even warmed up before it was hitting and holding redline, not to mention the fact that the oil was never checked and found it to nearly be empty once!!! Basically, try and find out the story behind the replaced engine and get it checked out.

• Mmmmm......BOOST
When I was buying my car it was a BF MKII or nothing.

Has a lot of things better then the BA including better gearbox choices and ofcourse stronger internals, interior options, colours and better frontbar :P

well if that's the case he should buy an FG way better than ba/bf at least they did some engineering changes on that

not meaning to get harsh ,I have no intention of selling my Ba it will stay with me and be developed into a very fine car , but a lot of members on here own BA's and are very happy with them

the main point is every time some one comes on here asking about buying a turbo you guys start writing off the Ba's ,

god help some of our long term members trying to sell a Ba because they want to upgrade ,

no chance of that with the I have BF don't buy anything else brigade around here , like I have said the 6spd zf is a nice auto if you really think there is anything more than that in it for the average person looking at buying a T and maybe not wanting 350+rwkw your kiding yourself

how many of you guys that are saying this have actually drivin a Ba 4sp

If it was a site sponser selling ba's you wouldn't be allowed to say a bad word against them

so in short have some consideration for other members of the site

end rant

• Member For: 15y 8m 7d

Even though I have a BF, I would have gotten a BA MKII if I had less to spend. The BA's are definitely not a bad unit at all, and especially at the prices you can get them now they are great bang for buck!

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members

I agree with some of what you say our06t...

If your not chasing big power and have limited funds, a BA should be fine...

However, it just so works that the majority of people on here, are on here to find out information about boosting and upping the power on their 6T's and F6's!

For the others that arent really enthusiasts and just want a car to get from A to B, im sure they would just hit up a dealer / carsales and listen to what they have to say, rather than come on here to ask questions.

I think what im getting at, is that quite often people buy cars without knowing about this site... After a while, they become members on here and ask about mods only to find out that they may have to impose restrictions on what they want to keep their vehicle reliable.

If they had known in the first place, they may have got a better model with a stronger gearbox or engine etc...

Hell, I have a BF1 pre 06/06 build. If id have done my homework and was on here before I bought it, id have waited the extra few months to get a BF2 with the stronger bottom end etc...

Its easier to recommend someone get a better model, if they plan on modding than tell them to get a cheaper one now, only to wanna sell and upgrade in the near future.

• Mmmmm......BOOST

yeh that's cool

The bf's are a great car but for some one who hasn't had a XR6 any of them are weapons

in saying what you say you have 345rwkw that is a f*ckin tuff street car I don't care what anyone says

and if you really want a monster buy an early ba spend the money you save ,on a built motor and 400 + he we come , even the late bf motor is really only good for an extra 50rwkw ,

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members

Yeh, your totally right...

Its horses for courses and it obviously has merit on a case by case basis!

If someone has that extra couple grand to go a BF, it would be ideal. Just means you can push the BF a little harder (Only 50rwkw I know, but at the higher end, 50rwkw is a fair bit!) and your gonna have to spend less on the gearbox over time...

But - totally correct, if you are getting into a 6T and can only afford a BA, its certainly gonna put a smile on ya face until ya get bitten pretty hard by the mod bug and you need to rebuild ya gearbox constantly!

• Member For: 16y 11m 16d

Hey guys, thanks for all your input...

Had a very long chat with the owner last night and this is what I was able to gather...

This guy is now the third owner of the car...the previous owner (2nd owner) had to change the engine because it was 'pinging' badly because the original owner (1st owner) was putting normal unleaded in the car rather than premium. He told me a brand new engine from ford was fitted and he does have the receipt to prove it. I asked him how have the service intervals have been carried out since the engine is not the original. A car that has done 53k requires different service maintenance than a 15k engine. He says he has no log book because he never got one in the first place. I asked him how he has been servicing the car and he told me that he has had the car for a year and has only travelled 7,000km and serviced it once in the time which was 2,000km ago. He said he had just the basic service such as oil and also had the brakes done as they were a little shaky. He told me overall the car is in good condition and he has never had a problem with it...but I'm sure that’s what everyone selling a car says. The driver’s seat is a little worn and there is a small mark on the dash...other than that they car is in good nick. Car has rego till June. What do you guys make of all this???

The reason he is selling the car is because he wants a bike. My offer to him is to trade my pretty much brand new 2008 Honda CBR600RR which has only travelled 1,200 km which I bought in January 09 for $13,200 and I give him a cash adjustment of $3,500.

I have another guy waiting to do a deal with me...a straight swap for my bike for his totally immaculate and original VL turbo unmodified...but I'm sure I already know what all you guys think of them...lol...I like them myself but I'm trying to make the right choice here...It's been doing my head in for days. At the end of the day I want a nice looking respectable street-able car with around 320 at the wheels. Something that is both a monster on the street but also nice to drive normally...

Any more comments or advice is much appreciated.

I don't have the extra money to save and buy a BF otherwise I would.

Cheers, Joe