Got Car From Interstate, Love The Car But The Owners Manual/service Bo

bluesmuso

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y 5m 23d

yeah your points are valid I guess it depends what you plan on doing with your car

but as said books mean crap to me , the only thing I like to look at in the books is the original purchase price

Edited by our06t

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 26d

I'd be causing a ruckus regardless of what effect it may have on future value, your analogy with the light bulbs is spot on and nothing sh*ts me more.

...in fact being the spiteful bastard I am would probably end up spending far more than what I stood to loose just for the sake of it. So I reckon go for it and stick it to the farkers :fool:

Do you know anyone locally that could pay a visit? (Not for one moment suggesting violence, but things are usually sorted straight away in-person)

• Member For: 15y 10m 15d

is it possible that the mecanical report fellow made a mistake and ticked yes instead of no or is it more in depth in regard to the books that that?

Anyway, I cant stand it how people keep the spare wheel and more often than not the jack out of their cars... totally stinks!!

And yes it stinks when theirs no books in a car either (like I said not that it matters to me, but from my perspective of trying to sell a car I know it matters to many others!!).

I dont really understand why anyone would either, its not as though its anything special, you can get a blank book and write teh details in and say heres the book! If its for a momento (which I doubt - but maybe) youd think old rego papers and purchase receipts or the like would be more useful... showin when how much etc etc.

I have got 20 year old cars with 70,000kms.... which ive bought from interstate and theres been no books... anyone fancy how that's going to go down with customers? The thing is you can just tell whether its true or not. But that's not the point in this case.

Good luck, look forward to hearing what happens in due course, even if just as advise for everyone!

Alex.

• Member For: 17y 1m 29d

Cheers Alex, in the mechanical report there was a special mention of a missed service at 130,000 km's (not recorded in the service book) so they do exist, when I spoke to her I made a point of making sure that she includes the RWC and makes sure it is in the glovebox which she did, perhaps she thought that because I didn't say "make sure the books and f*****g jack and spare wheel are there, she didn't have to include them, lucky for me she didn't want to keep the engine and turbo charger as a momento :huh: after all it is the best engine made in Australia ever :bowdown: what a momento.

Thanks tab, I hear you, let's hope that the Form 1A has some effect.

Edited by bluesmuso

One other omission which I'd completely forgotten about due to the relative insignificance when compared to the missing books , jack and spare was the missing wheel nuts (the right rear wheel had normal spare tyre style nuts rather than the proper chromed acorn style XR6 nut, it looked a bit funny so I got 5 xr6 chrome nuts from the wreckers for $10.00 when I bought the jack, no big deal but the wrong wheel nuts were not noted on the mechanical inspection so I can only assume that the correct nuts were removed after the inspection, either that or the mechanics missed it.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: The previous owner has finally contacted me after 6 weeks of me trying to get in contact, apparently a friend had borrowed the phone and has also moved house etc etc. All contact by text message only.

You won't believe it, the books which were in the car when it was inspected were from her father's car, also a 2003 BA Ford. The mechanics didn't pick it up, apparently it never had books and she had been borrowing her fathers books to find out where the fuses were, I assume it also never had a jack or functional spare wheel either.

She offered to send me her father's books (I think to apease me :sadcase:) but instead I asked that since the car was sold to me under the impression that it came with books instead she purchase an "owner's kit" from Ford spare parts which is an owner's manual and a service manual (empty) both in a vinyl folder for $123.00, and provide me with as much info on the previous owner as possible so I can attempt to trace the car's service history I'll leave it at that and consider it settled, I have not heard a reply yet and it was almost a week ago.

As far as the legal side of it goes it's tricky, it could be misrepresentation..........or an honest mistake, depending on which lawyer you ask (I've briefly spoken to a couple)

But I did discuss with her the fact that services had been ceased at 120,000km's according to the books in the car at my mechanical inspection when making an offer and was not told they were the books to a different car until this week (I paid for the car late January) I spoke to the mechanics and I guess when you are looking at a 2003 ford and it has 2003 books in the glovebox you'd simply assume that they are the books to that car, but they really should have noticed I guess.

Where I go from here who knows, I guess that's what you get from buying from a private seller, but I've bought lots of cars from private sellers and never had this happen before. I could pursue it but being interstate it will be costly if the court sees it as an 'honest mistake'.

But I still love the car and will be putting it on liquid gas injection in April hopefully then I'll have it dynoed again on the same dyno to see if it betters it's previous 186rwkw's once on liquid gas.

Edited by bluesmuso