Motorcycle Tie Down Kit

RowdyBurns

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 9m 16d
Thanks Speedzter that's a great help, are the ends of that crossbar secured in anywhere else or just bolted to the factory tie downs at each end?

It's just one bolt each side to the factory brackets, and it holds a Harley just fine.

A better way would be to also use the other bolts on the tray sides.

Bolts in and out in 5 min's.

The tub flex was way to much for big road bikes without the bar.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 12d

Just in case anyone else is interested I found a pic, this is the motorcycle tie down kit and rope rail kit, which by the look of it and the prices ford were asking were a rip. I will post pics when I have made my own, it will suit what I want and hopefully be a fraction of the price.

post-14783-1231758819_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 18y 17d

When I had my ute, I mostly put my bike in at an angle (front wheel in the corner) so the tail gate could close. I added some quick release, adjustable tie down points in the middle of both sidesto tie to. I had the sports bars fitted so I made up a little metal bracket that hooked into the standard tie down points, allowing the front guard of the bike to clear the bars.

If carrying two bikes (not really recommended as you start to push the limits of the springs, a trailer is a better option for multiple bikes) I fitted some eyeletts to the tailgate so it could be tied up easily, and the bikes were tied to the standard points and the adjustable ones I fitted.

I found the Ford (and other fixed point kits) too restrictive on where you could put the bike and your gear, etc.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 12d

Yeah I agree, I need more tie downs. Won't be just for bikes, but when I am carrying anything. These quick release adjustable tie downs you speak ok, got any more details on these, or who makes them?

• Member For: 18y 17d

I got them from Bluey's Ute World. Can't remember what they're called, but the concept comes from aircraft applications (they use the same system to bolt the seats down, so they can move them when needed). You can get them in strips (where you can pace multiple tie points (or move them around) or in single point packs. They have fairly high load capacities as well.

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 4m 25d
Yeah I agree, I need more tie downs. Won't be just for bikes, but when I am carrying anything. These quick release adjustable tie downs you speak ok, got any more details on these, or who makes them?

Hi, I am new here .... anyway... I made bike tie downs for my ute... I just used a stright bar down both sides of the ute (inside tub) and welded angles to bolt onto original bolting point... I will post a pict when I get some time.. it was pretty easy to make.