Iphone Dyno

alexlees

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 7d

Meh, downloaded the free POS :pooh: and when I tried to calibrate it just kept saying wrong direction with a big red arrow pointing to *beep* knows where. Tried 3 times and deleted it. Guess for $15 it would be ok as a guesstamator IF THE STINKING THING WOULD WORK. :3gears:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 2m 24d

Meh, downloaded the free POS :w00t2: and when I tried to calibrate it just kept saying wrong direction with a big red arrow pointing to *beep* knows where. Tried 3 times and deleted it. Guess for $15 it would be ok as a guesstamator IF THE STINKING THING WOULD WORK. :buttrock:

Which one did you download? The free Dynolicous from Bosch that I downloaded was very simple to calibrate.

• Member For: 16y 2m 24d

AutoSpeed - The Best Performance Determinant

An interesting article on Autospeed on comparing power to weight and 1/4 mile speed. Provides a way to estimate (with a rather high acuracy) power at your engine provided you know your 1/4 mile speed and your weight. Would be intersted to see if people on here come up with results that match.

I assume the phone dynos use a similar modeling technique to work out power at the wheels.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 7d

Which one did you download? The free Dynolicous from Bosch that I downloaded was very simple to calibrate.

Hey Tim, it was the free one from iTunes.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 5d

how does it use GPS when the iphone/ipod doesn't have genuine GPS?

GPS (global positioning system) needs a chip and antenna that will recieve lat and long from a satellite, interpret the data and give you as best a reading as it can, the more reference points it pulls from the satellites the more accurate your position is.

The so called "GPS" in iphones is actually called AGPS or assisted GPS working off the triangulation of mobile phone towers, accurate to maybe 50 meters if it can get more than 3 towers.

Without GPS it has no way to determine distance traveled, without knowing the distance travelled how does it work out your 0-100 time?

the ihpone/ipod does not have a G sensor, it has an accelerometer, they are completely different! an accelerometer cannot give you actual G force readings, it can get close but not very accurate.

doing a few calculations based on the inaccurate data its receiving from said senors will in turn give you bad readings to the user.

just my 2 cents... I know this will cause some issues :stirthepot:

• 9 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 22d

I tried out this app with my work forklift and it was quite accurate reading a top speed of 20kph, which is correct and also a correct kw rating of 33. I am yet to try it out in my car. I gave if a test but due to the road being damp it took 7 seconds to reach 100 and rated it as 179kw! Haha! It's all for fun though.