What Do The Gurus Think About These Speakers?

el2bfturbo

• Member For: 15y 11m

Hi first time poster so be gentle.

I think I've finally found a question worthy of having someone spend the time reading. Bought a BFII XR6T about a month ago (ex-chaser, but let's not get into that except for everything is great so far) and looking to change speakers all round. Plenty of good information here so I'm confident in doing it all but I came across these speakers made by Clarion (SRC5796) in the 5X7 shape however with a 5in circular woofer and tweeter included on the side. Would these be good enough for the high end frequencies, or should I stick with the tried and true method of putting 6.5in splits. These speakers are about $130 and look OK but happy for advice for a clueless noob :blink: I'm hoping replacing the OEM speakers with a straight shape change will make my job easier.

Cheers to all :nyaah:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 10d

they are going to work much like any 2 way speaker I rekon, as there is no crossover.

splits are going to sound better mate, as they do have a crossover.

they would be fine for rear fill in a bigger system, or if you are just upgrading speakers you would see an improvement. there will be less bass from those speakers rather than a regular 5x7 2 way speaker.

EDIT: also, welcome to the forum!

Edited by XR06T

Thanks XR06T for the advice and the welcome!

In my old EL all I had was upgraded 6in all round unamped and :riaa: it did the job. Now I have a little bit more money to play with I was hoping to do it a bit better but still run the standard ICC. As all can see not a huge audiophile just don't want listen to a CD and have it sound like the speakers are wrapped in pillows. So if I ran those with standard 5X7 in the rear all amped I'm guessing I'd notice a good difference.

If I added a sub later on would having those 2 way non crossover speakers be a complete waste of time or would I get by? Sorry for all the hypotheticals, maybe too much thinking out loud...

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 10d

I think you would get by, but there is always the option of moving them to the rear and getting some splits for the front at that point anyway.

my opinion only here, but for $130 I wouldn't get them. you would get better performance out of a 5x7 2 way speaker for similar money. just my opinion of course.

they will definatly be a step up from the factory speakers though!

appreciate the opinion, especially when it comes from more experience then my own.

Got the money to spend just want to get the best bang from my buck at the same time as keeping it manageable cos I want to get hands on with this car and try things out for myself (at which point I'm sure there'll be a few topics started in a panic but anyways).

cheers

just for the basic 4 speakers, amp and cabling probably around the $700-$800 mark. pretty flexible but don't want to go stupid on it. any tried and tested setup's that people would personally recommend (even brands and speaker/amp models) happy to hear it. I don't mind copying in this instance, don't have the dosh to be a pioneer without a compass haha

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 29d

5in splits in my experience play extremely loud and are efficient so not alot of power is required to run them but obviously lack bass altogether so you'll need a subwoofer to compensate.

Also check out Jaycars line of speakers and amps, these things are extremely good priced and can run with speakers and amp twice there price.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 16d

havent read the above - but for a asub 200$ speaker I would really bother - save some money a look at least a sub 300$ speaker - for that price range look at some Pioneers, about the best bang for buck in the sub 300$ (500$) range IMO...

• Member For: 20y 25d

ive seen the speakers your talking about mate... id steer very clear of them.

the setup is plain ridiculous, just get some decent 6' speakers they fit fine, you just have to make a SIMPLE adaptor of 6mm MDF.

Clarion speakers are sh*t fullstop.