Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 21y 7m 14d

Hey people, I want some urgent help.

I am buying a XR6T ute which has had an APS upgrade (as well as a variety of other things).

I was wondering who will insure this car? I am over 25 with level 1 no claim but I want to list my wife (23 also level 1 no claim) as a part-time driver as well.

So far ive found all insurance companies either wont insure an upgraded turbo or will but no under 25s. Price is not so much the issue, I just need that insurance so I can buy the car :)

So far tried and was told:-

NRMA - wont do modified regardless of age

AMMI - will do modified but no under 25s (quote was good thou if no under 25s)

Shannons - wont do modified regardless of age (I found this suprising)

GIO - wont do modified regardless of age

(Being sunday couldnt try any others).

ps found this website gives some ideas who to call http://www.importdriver.com.au/insurance.htm

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers :blush:

• Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member For: 21y 6m 25d
$2000 p/a for Shannons.  Insured for up to 600horsepower.  My repairer.  They've been great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought shannons only dealt with classics, as in 30+ year old cars. that's what they told my mate trying to insure his VL.

Dazza.

• Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member For: 21y 6m 25d
Hey people, I want some urgent help.

I am buying a XR6T ute which has had an APS upgrade (as well as a variety of other things).

I was wondering who will insure this car? I am over 25 with level 1 no claim but I want to list my wife (23 also level 1 no claim) as a part-time driver as well.

So far ive found all insurance companies either wont insure an upgraded turbo or will but no under 25s. Price is not so much the issue, I just need that insurance so I can buy the car :)

So far tried and was told:-

NRMA - wont do modified regardless of age

AMMI - will do modified but no under 25s (quote was good thou if no under 25s)

Shannons - wont do modified regardless of age (I found this suprising)

GIO - wont do modified regardless of age

(Being sunday couldnt try any others).

ps found this website gives some ideas who to call http://www.importdriver.com.au/insurance.htm

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers :crybaby:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

since the money isnt a problem you should try just cars, they are probably the countries largest modified/performance car insurer.

Dazza.

• Member For: 20y 9m 24d

Ford Grunt, that's suprising mate. Shannons were the ONLY insurer that would cover me, at an agreed value that I was happy with. Just Cars were happy to insure me, but only at market value - some $20K less than the Shannons agreed value.

Try them again mate, you may have spoken to someone who didn't know their stuff.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 18d
AAMI had no problem with my Unichip as long as I disclosed it.  No extra charge.

I to am with AAMI and they said they allow 1 mod, without affecting the premium. I enquired about the Edit stage 1 kit.

If they allow only 1 mod I'm now wondering about going for the stage 3 kit.

Full comprhensive insurance $550 per year.

Colin

• Member For: 21y 7m 14d

Insurance the necessary evil. Insurance stopped me buying a 351 XE (Ghia front) ute once, when I was about 19. It aint doing it again.

Tried the following today:-

Suncorp Metway - quoted $1700 & would list my wife. but no salvage rights, so its no good for my needs, as I want first option for salvage rights

Famous Insurance - not really interested in insuring utes (don't figure).

Prestige Insurance - will do under 25s but don't insure utes?

Dawes Insurance - do modifieds & under 25s but wont accept that it would be parked in public car park during workhours ?WTF doesnt just about anyone park in commercial car stations in the city?

Torque Underwriting - no under 25s

Unique Car Insurance - dont do XR6 or XR8 ?WTF

Just Cars - Only quote so far that meets my needs, quoted $2,000, also when I asked about salvage rights they said they can't guarantee it in your policy but said most times you can negiate with the assessor to get first option.

Young & Cool - weren't very helpful, asked if I tried others when said Just Cars said they wouldn't be beat it.

Looks like its Just Cars for me, unless the broker can think of someone, just as turb06 suggested to go with Just Cars, I will probably bite the bullet for a couple of years until the wife is 25 /me thinks.

Based on my experience today & yesterday. I don't know what all you under 25 year olds with modifieds are doing for insurance. You must all be with Just Cars or Suncorp Metway is seems.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 18d
A "Kit" is more than 1 mod

I explained the inlet box mods and that was OK.

As you said when I said it also came as a kit with the inlet box moved to the other side and a battery swap, that went into the too hard basket and I would have to explain is all to someone further up.

Colin

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 7m 13d

I'm with AAMI and have been for a year. They let me have 3 mods.

Chip, Exhaust, CIA. I rang them the other day to add my wheels and they didn't flinch! So that takes me to 4 mods!

I'm rating 1 all drivers are over 25 and it only costs $660 per year with $1000 excess.

• Member For: 21y 4m 28d
I'm with AAMI and have been for a year. They let me have 3 mods.

Chip, Exhaust, CIA. I rang them the other day to add my wheels and they didn't flinch! So that takes me to 4 mods!

I'm rating 1 all drivers are over 25 and it only costs $660 per year with $1000 excess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Until you have to make a claim....

Just a word to the wise, watch out for AAMI. They have a notorious reputation for being very tough when it comes time to payouts - whether it be to you or someone you ran in to. Apparently often their standard tactic is to take it to court.

There is NOTHING worse than having someone hit you and then they say "Dont worry, Im unsured with AAMI..."

Why do you think they push their "We are ultra friendly" advertising so hard??! The truth couldnt be further from that image.

An example? A mate of mine's father was about 65. He was getting on a bit. And a Volvo driver.

So coming out of the city he seemed to black out for a couple of seconds. Ran his car right up someone's ass. Damaged 3 cars.

Now in my book (and everyone else's...) that is pretty cut and dried. I would expect AAMI to pay out, and then to either decline to insure him in the future or demand a certificate that he was fit to drive from a Doctor prior to considering him for future insurance. All very logical and I think what most companies would have done.

AAMI's response to the 3 people who made claims after being hit? It was an act of God. As it was an Act of God we wont pay out, and you cant make a claim. Take us to court. So they did, and a hell of a lot of legal fees later some piddly settlement was reached. But not before everyone lost money on lawyers, and not before my friends dad (the good AAMI customer) was dragged into the courts (as you have to attend if your insurance company wants you to) and went through all the stresses of lengthy testimony and cross examination by the other lawyers.

Not good, and all this for maybe $20k in damage.

So...the moral of the story is DONT JUST GO WITH WHOEVER SAYS YES AND IS CHEAP!

Check around. Look for customers who have made claims. See how it went.

Any insurance company can take your cash, its what they do when you need them that you should assess them!