Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 13y 8m 4d

I'm with nrma! 23yo insured for $19,800 I pay $89 per month and live in a high risk area so that's pretty good.... And mods covered as longs as there "roadworthy" :/

I just got a quote from nrma, insured for $20500 for my bf turbo and they want $130 a month for a 44yr old driver with a clean record with no claims in 27yrs. Go figure

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 2d

Gee these insurance companies have no consistency across the board! I would definitely try hit them up for a better price! Try use the online quotes companies do and see if you can get a cheaper price and see why. I did all my quotes online before choosing

• Like 1

Gee these insurance companies have no consistency across the board! I would definitely try hit them up for a better price! Try use the online quotes companies do and see if you can get a cheaper price and see why. I did all my quotes online before choosing

I could'nt of said it better myself, the quote was done online.

I'm with aami at the moment, and I'm paying $89 a month and that's with a higher excess.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

I just insured mine with AAMI, online quote was 1600 and then I forgot a mod so I rang up to change it, and said how I had deferred to pay straight away so she just did it all again over the phone and added what I missed and it was 1300, which was awesome.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 11d

That's absolute bull crap! I'm 23 shocking driving history and I pay $89.... I'm not complaining but as said above there's no consistency and I wonder do they draw there figures out of a hat or something.....

That's absolute bull crap! I'm 23 shocking driving history and I pay $89.... I'm not complaining but as said above there's no consistency and I wonder do they draw there figures out of a hat or something.....

Interesting, do you live in sydney?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 2d

What "legal" modifications are you blokes talking about? As in everything changed has been engineered?

Nothing specific, just saying it how the insurance company did.

All my mods legal or otherwise are detailed on my policy with AAMI. No mention in the fine print of illegalities

Edit. Squirters aren't listed and tune is recorded as "Chipped" apparently they have never heard of "edit" and hence do not have a specific category

I think when they say 'legal' mods they mean roadworthy. One of the conditions of your policy will be to maintain the car in a roadworthy condition to the best of your knowledge. If you go and modify it so that it's no longer roadworthy, I'm guessing it gives them an out on paying out your policy.

Basically no one would insure me with my 2008 FG XR6T at 20yo. Even tried putting the car in my old mans name and not being listed and no way would they cover.

In the end NRMA was the best option. Abotu $2500 in my name with $800 excess or $850 in my old mans (max no claim 50yo) with a $2000 excess for me) $800 for the old man, market value not agreed but given I have 19's and sunroof and fairly low kms I was told its about $25k at the moment

As young blokes have it tough lol

NRMA are pretty good. They're not necessarily cheapest (in fact it's unusual) but they will insure almost anyone with almost any driving history with almost any car. Their claims service is also quite good from experience as well. Also, you can accumulate good discounts with them. My parents have our house, contents and cars with them and our 1992 Falcon is comprehensively insured with agreed value for ~$300 per year, less than half what the closest competitor gets. that's largely due to 'multi-policy' and 'years of insurance' (owned and insured with them since new) discounts. Until recently, they were obscenely expensive for young people. I'm guessing the risk across their portfolio has fallen with all the young people ignoring them and the pensioners taking out policies so they're diversifying their portfolio of insurance by offering cheaper insurance to young people.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 27d
If you go and modify it so that it's no longer roadworthy, I'm guessing it gives them an out on paying out your policy.

Which was sort-of the point I was getting at.

I know many people have claimed on their policy and had the cost of modication repairs/replacement covered, but technically they could have you over a barrel. I wouldn't want anyone relying on a statement here that X company covers all 'legal' mods...because at the end of the day if you change pretty much any component that alters performance or handling (other than the next wheel size or two up) without an engineers certificate then it aint 'legal'.