Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 30d

Go through your olds if you can, mines under them with me as main driver. RACV, cheap as :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 3d
MiKa I refer to a previous post about Shannons, I called up to get a quote. I am 35, nothing to advise in the last 5 years, driving since 18. Big issue that I hadn't had a turbo/ performance car for 24months and as such wouldn't insure me. So the 19yo's, I wouldn't imagine stand a chance. - Either that our they just dont like girls??!?!

Oh Yeah & they only want you to sometimes drive it, coz if you use it everyday then you aren't a car enthusiast. Thus again, reducing their possibility of having to pay out.

yea, I found out that even if you havent had insurance previously you can still have a no claim bonus..

shannons werent interested in me because im <25

Ok I dont know why u people had these experiences but for me... when I first got insured it went like this....

Just got off my P's and bought the T... I rang up heaps of places to get quotes (just cars, ravc, aami.. heaps) Most wouldnt touch me cause I was 22 at the time. Shannons were the cheapest at $1500 and the best people I have spoken to on the fone in my life... He (the guy I spoke to) were chattin about how T's are mad cars and how I got a good price etc... Its my daily driver and they know that. They never asked me about any previous cars being performance cars or any car for that matter. Im a rating 1 on full comp....

My cousin want an XT Forester (turbo version) and called Shannons and they told him that hes not an enthusiest (spelling) and they werent gonna insure him. He asked what that meant and they said that that car is not a 'typical' performance car even though hes gonna lower, add 20's, boost it and all the fun stuff to it. Their aint many other options for him apart from the obvious 'just cars' etc.. which he found out to be $2000+ and the rest wont touch him cause hes 21.

Its wierd how im insured and others for the same car and even older age arent...

Cheers Mike...

Edited by MiKa

• ride the lightning
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 14d
Give Shannons a call, just paid mine today and it costs me $1500 a year.....

I just started a policy with them today...bloody champions

• Member For: 18y 11m 4d

As few have already said....location plays a big part but the # of claims specific to make must be also a contributing factor.

I'm 39 now and with RACV...well until now as I'm weighing my options for the following reasons.

I bought my BA MKii XR6T new in 2005 and it was insured with RACV for $860, the next year it went up to $916 and now that my insurance is due again, they are asking for $1012.

I have been on rating one for well over 10 years, never had a claim nor any speeding offences.

The only justification I got from RACV representative for the increased premium on a two-year old car now was that there have been number of claims for this "particular make" and therefore the insurance had to go up by another $100 in one year....full stop.

Obviously I'm not thrilled with this kind of service from an insurance that I have been loyal for almost 15 years and never have even placed a claim. I expected a better treatment than just being 'thrown into one bag'

I'm still not sure what I will do but most likely I will ask my father to insure the car in his name and nominate me as the primary driver. He's in mid 60's, drives BA MKii XR8 and his insurance is ony $760.....and did I mention that he's not with RACV?

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 4m 30d
It is not required that you need to read the PDS, many company do not have you sign anything as such and do most of the policy stuff over the phone. Just because there is a PDS does not require you to read it or understand it, as all special provisions should be confirmed verbally and duly noted, as the insurance had prior knowledge that you were a P plater and did not reject the policy at the commencement of the policy.

As most people would not be expected to read a PDS completely as they are boring (I have read a few, lets just say) all relevant information should be expected to be told you verbally on lodgement.

What a load of crap.

Have you ever been personally notified, or seen any signs on the side of the road, stating that it's illegal to kill people? Probably and over-the-top analogy, but ignorance is no excuse.

Insurance companies do not make good defendants unless you’ve got either a sh*tload of money or a very good case.....preferably both :tonguepoke:

• Member For: 17y 3m

I was charged $1300 with NRMA, am 23. All the others wouldnt even bother with me. When I was still looking at cars I was tossing up between the 8 or the turbs, and NRMA wanted $2000 for the 8, and once again none of the other large companies would touch me.

Edited by Jordo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 11d

Im with RACWA and have a pretty ordinary driving record but pay $880 for a brand new XR6T full comp! Live NOR in Perth and I was 23 when I first got the car.

With the WRX I pay abut $1200 to the value of 19K :(

Used to be with Just Cars. HUGE premiums and even HUGER excesses. Had no choice though with the WRX when I was a hoon. One stage I was paying $2500 with a $3800 excess when I was 20

Still, not as bad as my first insurance quote. R33 Skyline when I was 19. Insured to the value of 25K cheapest quote I could find was $4950. Needless to say if you cant afford or jusitfy the insurance you cant afford the car!

• Member For: 17y 3m 3d

how do you guys out there runnin 20" rims go with insurance, do the companies allow it or do you just not tell them you have 20's?????