Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 13y 9m 17d

Hey guys,

One thing most people don't consider, is the process of a particular insurer, when it comes to claim time.

I was a insurance fraud investigator for several years, and have conducted numerous investigations for motor vehicle theft and collisions for all the big name companies.

AAMI (my current insurer) was actually cheaper than anyone, even with some mild mods. However I KNOW that if I damage my car and no other vehicles are involved, or it is stolen - an investigation will be conducted and this process is not fun with AAMI. Same goes for Just Car.

Conversely, with Shannons, they were actually more expensive, but I know that they are a lot easier to deal with when it comes claim time. Especially if you have some serious, perhaps even illegal mods.

My recommendation is to pay a little more and go with Shannons. I'm only with AAMI as I hold multiple, varied policies AND I know exactly what needs to be done should I need to make a serious claim.

Food for thought.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 13d

Hey shadowboxa as long as they know of all the mods it should be ok shouldn't it? After modding my car I called Aami and told them what I had done and my insurance got cheaper for some reason.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 9m 17d

Also Aami gave me a way higher agreed value than shannons

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hey 234FPV,

Sorry for delay.

Yes - as long as you are 100% honest about the mods, then all should be fine. As I mentioned, I am with AAMI with the F6 and cheaper than Shannons.

It is just that IF you needed to make a claim for a total loss; the claim process would be more extensive and much more of a headache should you be with AAMI and not Shannons, for example. But they will pay, eventually. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Banned
  • Member For: 13y 9m 30d

Nearly had a heart attack this morning.......long post on a boring topic, but worth the read potentially.

After checking my bank records (do it every three months) I realise my monthly car payments havent been made. I ring AAMI and the consultant tells me....."we cancelled your insurance in September" When I ask why, im eventually told, "We notified you with no response. You did not make payments. You are no longer covered by AAMI".

Reason? The automatic monthly payment did not go through due to bank error or whatever, and as I did not "confirm via mail" that they could take extra the next month they didnt take any payment at all.........and just cancelled my insurance instead due to non-payment "for two consecutive months" hence expiry "under the conditions of your policy".

Ahhhh.....right. So, no phone call to me on the two numbers listed? "No". No letter to house adress? " No". I must have missed an email somewhere along the line, maybe my fault or work stopped it coming through or whatever, but surely a follow up was required........

I have all my monthly payments direct debited (council, water, power, house, car, health, life etc etc), hence why I didnt notice it earlier. Simply cant believe they would cancel without any genuine attempt to make contact????

Sorry for the long post, but id hate for someones car to be damaged via accident/stolen etc and not be covered due to a simple oversight........might be worth a check just in case, could be a massive $$$ disaster.

• Thooperrrrrrr
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

WOOOOW

That's probably the worst customer service I've heard in a long time.

Happy you picked up on it, would have been horrible if something happened and you were not covered, especially since you weren't aware of it.

So, they ask you to supply 2 phone numbers, I wonder what they use them for...?

Shocking.

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 9m 30d
WOOOOW That's probably the worst customer service I've heard in a long time. Happy you picked up on it, would have been horrible if something happened and you were not covered, especially since you weren't aware of it. So, they ask you to supply 2 phone numbers, I wonder what they use them for...? Shocking.

Yes mate, $%^&ing dreadful. You will find in another thread that my parents car was stolen last week (where I was at the time) so it could have easily been mine instead.

I dont even want to think about what I would have done had they taken mine and I rang to claim and AAMI said "you arent covered"......

ps: Apparently phone numbers are taken just for fun (well, it seems that way....).

Edited by CBXRT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 12y 7m 20d

hi guys before I look into full comp for my fg xr6t the people who are in sydney male aged 28 or less post up on what you are paying :) will be paying per year not monthly!

I reckon aami will be the cheapest as they always seem to be cheers