Fg Ute Tonneau Covers

spooner

• Member For: 15y 9m 6d

I havn't had any problems with mine .... yet. And I use mine pretty rough with loads of hay and horse feed etc.

Can fit 6 bales in solid in the back and that cover has been stretched a fair bit to clip over that load and it has held no troubles. Though I think after time it might not shrink back! Its a pain in the bum though when you have to wedge your hand in behind the hay to get to the lever to lower the tray, because the back is chokkas :tonguepoke:

Held off on getting the hard top as I was worried I wouldn't fit stuff in that I needed.

What price are they going for the hard tops nowadays? Can you pick them up cheaper now?

Edited by crazyhorse

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 15d

I just worry that the guys with soft tonneau covers one day will have them lift. I know you have to check and make sure it has been clipped on properly and all that but human nature being what it is all it takes is to be in a bit of a hurry and hey presto you have a kite flying above you on the highway . Like I did. I must have missed a small section of clip so it was my fault , Very lucky I didnt scrape any paint off as when they come off they do it pretty violently. They do look a lot neater than in the old days when there were the ugly loops, but at least with those you could see at a glance if they were all on properly.

• Donating Members
I havn't had any problems with mine .... yet. And I use mine pretty rough with loads of hay and horse feed etc.

Can fit 6 bales in solid in the back and that cover has been stretched a fair bit to clip over that load and it has held no troubles. Though I think after time it might not shrink back! Its a pain in the bum though when you have to wedge your hand in behind the hay to get to the lever to lower the tray, because the back is chokkas :blink:

Held off on getting the hard top as I was worried I wouldn't fit stuff in that I needed.

What price are they going for the hard tops nowadays? Can you pick them up cheaper now?

Crazy horse, if you want to carry higher loads have you considered roll tops ? Have one on my old BA and it is a lot more practical than my FG hard lid

• Member For: 15y 9m 6d
Crazy horse, if you want to carry higher loads have you considered roll tops ? Have one on my old BA and it is a lot more practical than my FG hard lid

Now I have seen one of those before on a BA I think, do you loose any tray space with them? I am sure the one I saw lost a bit of tray space towards the cab of the car (there the roller sits). They sit flush with the tray right, so how do they work if you want to put a higher load in?

I would have thought the hard tops would sit a little higher than these? Or do you just leave them open when you have a load in the back. What price are these jobs going for?

They do look pretty flash, and I do like the new style of these utes with any of their lids- beats the old cotton reels on the older models. It was the first thing I asked when I walked into Ford- "they don't have those horrible knob things on them do they?"

• Donating Members

Crazyhorse, if you want to carry higher loads you just leave it open. The roller is spring loaded so when you unlock it it naturally will roll and stay open. I carried trail bikes, hay etc on my BA with no problems, and you lose a couple of hundred millimetres at the front where it rolls up but the roll size doesnt go all the way to the bottom of the tray so it is reasonably compact. (I'll go and get a photo of the front and post it) Mine cost around $1800 when I bought my BA but I believe the price fitted is $2280.00 fitted (Blueys ute world in Sydney) I would say there would be somewhere around Brizzy that would stock them. Best to have a good look at them to compare as theyre not as pretty as the hard lids but they are a good compromise if you are regularly carrying loads.

Cheers

• Member For: 16y 6m 29d
The roller is spring loaded so when you unlock it it naturally will roll and stay open.

so what happens if you want to put something small in there, you have to walk to the front and drag it back to the rear because it has sprang all the way to the front?

• Donating Members

xa-mont, No you dont have to walk around to the front as there is a pull strap attached to underside rear of locking mechanism, so as you let the roller open you just hold the end of the strap and leave it at the back and when you close it you pick up strap and pull back to close. Has worked perfectly since new. (2005)

cheers