Performance Issue

xceptional

• Member For: 16y 20d

Thanks for the info guys. Hey Ford_Power, is there a certain type/brand of battery I should be looking out for?

03XR6T, how do you mean? Do you mean get some black electrical tape and just wind it around head. Won't that look gastly, and won't the tape eventually become hot and unwind off?

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coils are hidden away anyway so no one will ever know.

Yea, you just wrap tape around the top of them to insulate. Mine was done for 3 years & 45,000kms or so with no dramas, never had any coil related problems either!

• Member For: 16y 20d

I replaced the battery a couple a days ago however it has not really changed anything. Maybe smoothed out the 'power curve' a little but still dead spots under full throttle and when the motor is still relatively cool.

I guess the next things to try are new plugs and coils.

Looking around today there are a few options of plugs. NGK BKR6EIX (iridium), NGK FR6EI-11 and BOSCH FR7KPP33U+. The latter 2 are around $68 from Super Cheap. Having a closer look at them the BOSCH have a pointed center electrode and what looks to be a quite a small gap. On the other hand the NGK FR6EI-11 comes preset with a 1.1mm gap (standard pug gap for the XR6T I understand) but don't know what the center electrode is like.

Has anyone had an experience with the above or recommend any considering I have not had the ECU flashed or a custom tune?

Cheers

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 18d

could be o2 sensors.

faulty coil packs might show that they are fine under a test, but intermittently stuff up.

could also be a blocked fuel filter causing it to surge.

I would take the car to 1 of the forum advertisers and get them to have a look at it as they deal with xr6t's day in day out!

Edited by The_Bogan

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 28d

I use the bkr6eix, but I have a tune.

it may be worth getting some really cheap plugs (non iridium etc) to see if that solves the problem, usually a few $'s each. not sure if the plugs have ever been changed before but if not they would definatly be due!

like bogan said, the coil packs could be intermittently faulty, I have had this on a previous car! if I was you, I would get new coil packs and cheap plugs and see how you go. if that fixes the problem, in 20k kms get some of the iridium plugs!