Running Out Of Idea's

GKTaylor

• Member For: 16y 1m 1d
Mate Id be looking at that gap and decreasing it to about .75 or .80, Check all your coils too, make sur they are seated correctly and the rubbers are in place !

Time to put your thinking caps on, dropped the gap down to .80, made sure all the coils were reseated and all the rubber bits were there..... Its now worse.... One thing I did note however, the plugs looked very lean and grey, not the usual black.

?? :stirthepot:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 11m 2d

well the spark plugs regap to .75 would have been my guess. I had the same problem only 3months ago and I regapped and solved all my problems

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 13d

Considering there was a change when you gapped the plugs I would assume that your problem lies there , Have you got the right plugs in there ? the NGK Part No is BKR6EIX and the F6 ones are Part No PN AGSP22Z11 the F6 ones are the way to go BTW ....Are your coil packs in good working order, is the wiring to the coil packs in good nick ? Is the grommet that seals the crossover to the throttle body split anywhere, you said the tips of your plugs looked "lean" .., you might also have an air leak somewhere.. good luck dude

I still pretty sure that it is plug related, go for the factory ones to be certain

Pete

• Cant wait to drive it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 6d

im not sure if its right or not but I thought those iridium plugs were no good for turbos and the standard jobbies should do

Considering there was a change when you gapped the plugs I would assume that your problem lies there , Have you got the right plugs in there ? the NGK Part No is BKR6EIX and the F6 ones are Part No PN AGSP22Z11 the F6 ones are the way to go BTW ....Are your coil packs in good working order, is the wiring to the coil packs in good nick ? Is the grommet that seals the crossover to the throttle body split anywhere, you said the tips of your plugs looked "lean" .., you might also have an air leak somewhere.. good luck dude

Coils are brand new - as are the plugs NGK Laser Iridium Premium FR6EI-11 These are listed on the www.ngk.com.au site for this vehicle, I'll check for air leaks and splits tomorrow, everything looked fine on re-assembly, I might get a set of these NGK plugs your talking about.

Why would this vehicle prior to the new coils and new plugs, behave in the same manner with new coils and plugs, yet it operated for a long time just fine, plugs removed are Iridium Denso K20SR11

1. Installing spark plugs

Torque is one of the most critical aspects of spark plug installation. Torque directly affects the spark plugs' ability to transfer heat out of the combustion chamber. A spark plug that is under-torqued will not be fully seated on the cylinder head, hence heat transfer will be slowed. This will tend to elevate combustion chamber temperatures to unsafe levels, and pre-ignition and detonation will usually follow. Serious engine damage is not far behind.

An over-torqed spark plug can suffer from severe stress to the Metal Shell which in turn can distort the spark plug's inner gas seals or even cause a hairline fracture to the spark plug's insulator...in either case, heat transfer can again be slowed and the above mentioned conditions can occur.

The spark plug holes must always be cleaned prior to installation, otherwise you may be torquing against dirt or debris and the spark plug may actually end up under-torqued, even though your torque wrench says otherwise. Of course, you should only install spark plugs in a cool engine, because metal expands when its hot and installation may prove difficult. Proper torque specs for both aluminium and cast iron cylinder heads are listed below.

Torque Settings Specifications Table

Spark plug type (Thread Diameter) Cast Iron Cylinder Head Aluminium Cylinder Head

Flat seat type 18 mm ø 3.5 ~ 4.5 kg-m 3.5 ~ 4.0 kg-m

(with gasket) (25.3 ~ 32.5 lb-ft) (25.3 ~ 32.5 lb-ft)

14 mm ø 2.5 ~ 3.5 kg-m 2.5 ~ 3.0 kg-m

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 13d
Coils are brand new - as are the plugs NGK Laser Iridium Premium FR6EI-11 These are listed on the www.ngk.com.au site for this vehicle, I'll check for air leaks and splits tomorrow, everything looked fine on re-assembly, I might get a set of these NGK plugs your talking about.

Why would this vehicle prior to the new coils and new plugs, behave in the same manner with new coils and plugs, yet it operated for a long time just fine, plugs removed are Iridium Denso K20SR11

Get yourself the F6 ones if you are going to get a new set