New Turbo

Guys,

After tossing up the idea of a new turbo recently & nearly purchasing a TO4Z combo, my standard turbo decided to let go yesterday. Now that I have the little bit of added motivation behind me to get something done, I want to get some opinions on turbo sizing & specs.

I know the TO4Z is a popular choice but what size compressor wheels should I be looking at getting? If a cheap one comes up on ebay or similar, I want to be prepared & know it's the right thing before bidding.

Also, would anyone happen to know what a rebuild/balance would cost of the existing turbo? Compressor wheel looks fine as does housing so I'm guessing it's only bearings that need replacing?? If it's firly cost friendly, I might look into getting the ETM stage 1 manifold/gate etc & utilise my gear as I don't see myself wanting too much over the 400 mark if at all. That will only come if the bigger puffer gets put on.

Cheers, Dean :smilielol:

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 19y 12d

MTQ can do a new core for around $1200 (ish) Thats a brand new bearing housing/bearing pack and new comp and turbine wheels. You just reuse your old comp and turbine housings

Luke :stupid:

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 28d

Shoot leigh a message mate, I'm sure he can work something out for you. Even on an exchange sort of basis, using your housings and putting the external gate on there

Thanks for the reply's guys. Just got the old girl back home on the trailer so I'll strip it down over the next few weeks when I get a chance & go from there.

Don't want to end up spending nearly the same $$$ rebuilding mine + new manifold/Gate etc as it would cost to buy a TO4Z stage 2 kit so I'll see how bad she is!

• Member For: 17y 3m 1d

give 6 boost a call mate he has full packages, I would go bigger than a to4z. cause its a huge spool up difference in spool time with a good manifold, I have a 1200hp garret on mine and its building boost before 3000rpm easy

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 28d

Good chance to go all out with the ETM setup, you already have a load of goodies and this would finish it off nicely :-) Being a bearing failure....was this a result of your leaking turbo oil feed line?

Na they were on the way out before the replacement line went on, hence my decision to change it.

Not sure which way I'm going to go now... Been toying with the idea of trading up to BF or FG? I'll leave it upto the bank now