Car Is Spluttering And Generally Running Like Crap

ravenhard

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 22d

Well I wasnt 100% sure where to put this, but the main problem is when cruising at say between 60-100k's and you give it WOT the car sorta splutters, so driving it its like slight fuel surge or slight hesitation when accelerating hard. This can happen at full tank or half tank, no difference. Also when giving it WOT you can here what sounds like a hiss or a spray on for a sec then off then on like it missing or something. Sorry its hard to explain all the faults when driving my car, ATM I feel like driving it off the end of a short pier...

There is a whole long story that goes with the tuning of my car but after doing some research Im thinking it could be either a coil or plug problem. I had a look at the plugs today and they look dirty. But was changed at a very reputable tuner less than 1500kms ago. So do I need to change my plugs again? The 1's on the car ATM are ford with AGSP 22YE09 . Does this mean they have a 0.8mm gap?

Here is a pic

P1.JPG

Could it be anything else like a dodgy fuel pump/filter? Or maybe my 02 sensor as I read somewhere? I checked all the coils and they seems OK no cracks or white marks on them.

Edited by ravenhard

• Member For: 18y 7d

Sounds exactly like what I've got.

My car splutters under load, almost sounds like someone spitting water out of their mouth. If its similar to my problem, it won't be your plugs. I've changed my plugs twice, with different gaps, with no difference. I'm almost 100% sure my coils are the problem.

Sorry I can't help with the ford sparkplug... They've got some weird part numbers...

But you're not the only one with this problem. Its very disheartening. You just wanna give your car the boot, but whenever it does, it just sounds terrible.. :(

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 5d

Try changing the fuel filter guys.

They can clog up and run like crap, then clear up and be ok, then run ok but crap when more fuels needed.

• Donating Members

yeah, I actually got a new fuel fiter the other day to install before all the rain last week. Was going to change that before I buy an aftermarket walbro GS342 off ebay

Antigravity, did your plugs look this dirty when you changed them?

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y 4m 28d

I see you have a 4spd had similar probs with my car ,was all to do with the auto torque settings cutting power and playing games with the ecu

try locking the car in first gear and see if it still happens,mine only did it badly when in 2nd and 4th

• Member For: 17y 1m 28d

Mine is doing the same thing at the moment so if you find out what is can you please let me know. I have only just changed the plugs and the fuel filter. The only thing that I can think is that the plugs may not have been gapped properly as it was not doing it before I changed them.

• Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be.....
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 13d

are you really really sure its not the coils?

I was getting the "blurble" between 3 and 4000 revs. Once past this point power came back on, although I felt the car wasn't running at its best

2 months ago it was on cylinder 1,

Yesterday cylinder 2

wahooooooo and we are away again. The dude said they are all likely to go over time.

shaz

ps Thanks to the Buffy Tab & MS for supporting me in my hour of panic. :bowdown:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

just an update on this. As you can see I checked them for dirt and the gap then cleaned my plugs, no difference. I changed my fuel filter and made no difference. Even changed the type fuel and from where I normally get it from and made no difference.

So I had some time this morning and took it back to the tuner. Let him drive it and he basically says it feels like its running lean but he reckons he can get it on the Dyno and tune it a bit better. At the very worst he said a new pump might be in order. So its booked in next week to see if he can work his magic and get my car running good again. I'm not going to bag or praise my tuner just yet though and suppose I'll see what happens after I take it to him. I probably should have taken it to him soon its just a bitch having to drive 1 hr to get to them.

• Donating Members

Last dyno figure was 279rwkw's when I got the bulk of my work done, I told my tuner to install a walbro if he thinks it needed 1 and he said at that figure it wasnt and dont waste my money. My goal with my car was only ever to get between 280-300