Oil Catch Can

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 29d

Why catch cans are used.Catch cans are used to stop oil from misting the inside of the intercooler and build up of slug.The oil makes a barrier between the aluminium there fore not cooling.The other issue is of octane reduction.Oil is terribly bad to mix with incoming air charge.By nature,oil is actually a octane reducer,so any oil vapours the turbo compressed air picks up on it`s way is effectively lowers the octane of your fuel you are using.This happened on my two suzuki rsr works 660cc twin cam four valves a cylinder.when I fitted a catch can and cleaned out the intercooler with degreaser,lots flushing out with water to get rid of oil and degreaser.you would be ammased by the amount of oil and sh*t that comes out.the little suzuki alto work motors need all the power you can pull from them 48kw 9000 rpm put only 654 kg.good fun little cars.so I have three turbo cars now.this is part extact from,Hot4s tech hand book.Good read .cheers.keep it clean,more power. :hiall:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 16d

True, true Grant but on our cars the main offender is the rear breather which enters the middle of the plenum (on a BA model anyway). This bypasses everything and has a straight run for your cylinders and in mine also left an easy teaspoon possibly more in each donut shaped runner.

The amount of oil you see in my above pics of the fuel filter have virtually not changed and this is after an easy 5000km's with a custom tune (5 power runs) in between.

Catch Cans for the Win everybody :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 29d

True, true Grant but on our cars the main offender is the rear breather which enters the middle of the plenum (on a BA model anyway). This bypasses everything and has a straight run for your cylinders and in mine also left an easy teaspoon possibly more in each donut shaped runner.

The amount of oil you see in my above pics of the fuel filter have virtually not changed and this is after an easy 5000km's with a custom tune (5 power runs) in between.

Catch Cans for the Win everybody :spoton:

Yes I saw this pipe comming from cover to the plenum it must have a one way valve in the pipe.Having just just bought a brand new 50th xr6t and only clocked up 400ks.Still working out were pipes run.So this pipe/breather only works when you back and get a vacum at the plenum ? Catch can filter on both.Plus Don`t wont to stuff upthe warranty.cheers. :bangcomputer:

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 11m 13d

Great writeup there mate and loved the little bracket you made up. Im yet to put mine in but will use your idea for mine.

I noticed you put a ruler for measurments under your template, but is there any chance you could photocopy the templete for us lazy ones here and post it so we can print off and just cut it out?!

If you can forgive the poor camermanship, I found and easier mount for the overpriced autobarn catch cans.

Picture0002.jpg

And for the lazy people...

Untitled2.jpg

just use quite a rigid piece of plate to avoid wobbles.

8)

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 15d

Heres My setup, Im running of the rear vent because you guys all said that is the main offender, Ive misteriously lost a couple pount of boost on my gauge though.. car doesnt seem any less powerfull, I will recheck the hoses and clamps tomorrow.

Bought some 10mm silicon hose at local rubber shop.. Had enough spare to do the brake booster vacuum hose too so it all looks sexy.

mocked up a bracket similar to the first post and away I went. My cheap ass can is a little bigger so I had to tighten the left brake booster nut from the top with a open ended spanner which was a pain but still, it all turned out okay. The return line into the plenum has a joiner in it so I just connected up there rather than trying to fit my big hands down in that orafice.

Please let me know if I have done something wrong, as im curious as to why my boost gauge is reading a little less.. also the can is making a very audible vacuum noise. Should I put grease on all the threads to try and stop any leaks or is this normal?

Been for about a half hour drive. and allready there is a oily film in there.. Unfortunately none of the shops are open so I havent put any scourers in there yet but will do asap!

2011-04-22144646.jpg

2011-04-22144656.jpg

2011-04-22153917.jpg

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

Nice install but unfortunately its the breather ( on the rocker cover) in front of the crossover that you want the catch can on.

Dont bother with the PCV circuit it only draws when the car is idling and the manifold is under vacuum. Just check your PCV valve is operating correctly. It should rattle and should be closed when you blow into it and open when suck through it. Just read your whole post. You definitely should put the stainless steel pot cleaners in, the ones I used are called STEELO SILVER. I used 2. Just give them a shake to get rid of all the loose bits.

Edited by arronm

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 5m 23d

that is one MASSIVE mother F*cker BOV that punches you in the face once you open the bonnet!

seems that mounting it neat the brake booster is the way to go for the catch cans. Might be better with stock black hoses and less bling on it though.

running oil catch cans legal in VIC? Or this vary every state too?