Turbo Timer Thread (Merged Topic)

SweetXR

• ASHA - Anti Stooge Hunter Association
  • Member For: 21y 3m 18d
I have one, can't lock the car until it's done though :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You cant ??

Or do you mean you can lock it, but you have to do it with the key??

Turbo_Dan, ive got a Apexi unit in my car, it is correct that you cannot lock the doors with the keypad until the car turns off, however you can lock it with the key. What you will notice is that as soon as the car turns off, Smartlock will activate, therefore your immobiliser still does work.

To be honest, I usually drive mine slow the last couple streets before I park, therefore my timer is only on for 30 seconds....by the time I pull up (take the key out), collect all my stuff, get out, shut the door - the car is already off, so I just lock it with the keypad. The main reason I have it on the car is for drags (at the strip) or spirited driving, the turbo does tend to glow.....not such a good idea to turn the car off when the turbo is glowing.

Hope this help,

Regz

Dean

Guest mercurysteve
  • Guests

nah, same deal as you Dean, just cannot lock and leave the car with the turbo timer/motor running during that 30 seconds is what I meant. :spoton:

• 1 month later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 21d
Waste of time and money :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldnt say that......the amount of times I had locked something in the house or glovebox and being able to open house etc up without turning the car off is great. Just dont try and corner or the steering lock goes on..that nearly killed me.

But yeah I dont have one on my T and I wont put one on cos I cant be ar$ed :laughing:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 20d

I agree, Waste of money. Most timers are used on commercial vehicles (and ricers), diesel trucks etc which operate at maximun torque for long periods. They also use a bush in the housing rather than a roller bearing as in the XR turbo's. The main issue is to stabilise the temps before shutdown as the temp will still rise after from heat soak no matter what you do. Just as the others said, drive sedate for the last km or so and let it idle while you open the door for the boss. :laughing:

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 21d

Not just cooling......what happens when you turn your car off??? your oil pump stops.......turbos spin at over 10 times the rate of a piston operated engine, therefore one the engine is shutdown the turbo keeps spinning and guess what no oil!!! Bye bye bearings. The need for a TT is pronounced in BB turbos. Having said this I still dont think their necessary unless your an outofcontrol goat. I have witnessed the length of time a turbo will spin after shutdown and it can be a few minutes. Having said all this I cant be certain about the amount of oil required to prevent bearing damage after shutdown. Oil and heat are the reasons for a TT but if people were destroying turbo bearings on T's you would have heard about it!!!